FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Running Main Harness from Footwell to Washer Bottle

My VIN:    Early

Running Main Harness from Footwell to Washer Bottle

So I ended up adding three 10awg wires and one 16awg ignition wire to the main harness. A 10awg for each fan, and 10awg and 16awg for the Bosch iBooster.

The main harness will pull out in one piece with some twisting, but it will NOT go back in one piece.

The only way to reinstall the harness is to depin all connectors. Once that’s done, use safety wire or something similar to wrap around end of harness to aid in routing.

689E0A18-B316-4162-A6BA-7ABC241BE0E4.jpg79699354-8312-43A1-AAC7-8845F4AB3BB6.jpg

Hope this tip can help others. Better to purchase the proper pin removal tool prior to the job.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

I have actually had much success routing the stock main harness back through the left fender area. Firt I used fish tape through the foot well hole and it is stiff enough to get to the washer bottle area. I then pulled a 1/4 inch plastic rod (needs to have some stiffness to it) back into the passenger foot well. I taped the wire head to the end of the plastic rod and pulled it through the washer bottle area. this takes some time and you have to go slow, pull 1-2 inched and rach unter the foot well and push the connectors up through the hole. (They need to take a little turn tot he left or out side before going straight up). it takes some time but not impossible, certainly didn't need to depin the connectors. I did spray a little wd 40 in the foot well hole which also helped.

Joe P.

My VIN:    Early

Interesting. I used some safety wire and was unable to get the damn thing routed intact. The two holes in the forward double wall are so small, I had to squeeze the larger 9 pin connector though. I was able to leave the female contact 9 pin on the harness, but the rest had to come out.

So either the holes vary in size between different cars (mine is a very early VIN), or adding three 10awg wires to the loom took up some precious room.

At the end of the day, I highly recommend anyone taking on this task have a set of depinning tools on hand, just in case they have the same experience I had.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3