FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Replacement antenna masts

My VIN:    10907

Replacement antenna masts

So I ran through the car wash with my antenna up a few weeks back

Anybody have suggestions for a replacement mast in the year of our lord 2022? I'm reading that most of the crossovers have been discontinued but I'd prefer not to spend $100 and several hours of aggravation on a whole new unit. If possible I'd prefer to either replace it with one that manually retracts or one that I could attach to the window. I'm not overly concerned with getting amazing reception since I live in a major city (radio still gets passable reception even after taking the broken mast out) and have an FM adapter for my ipod when I'm on the interstate.

Edit: DMCH sells a manual telescoping antenna, if I understand some old threads correctly it was meant to replace the front fixed antenna but is is it possible to use it in the back and just disconnect the antenna motor?
    Last edited by DaraSue; 08-30-2022 at 01:17 AM.

My VIN:    Midproduction

You could get away with installing a manually retractable antenna in that rear spot, but you'll have a hard time (grabbing) pulling it up through the grill if you push it in past the induction grill. Otherwise seems like a cheap alternative. Yes, they're meant for the front fender, but it'll fit just fine on the mounting bracket. I'm not sure about length though - you might have to find a way to anchor the bottom of the antenna to the bracket in order to stabilize it?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's about impossible to find a black mast. You might still be able to find a chrome one and paint it flat black. The only real option is to replace the whole unit. Instead of spending the money on that consider getting a satellite radio. Or having a USB port added to your old radio and hooking an external radio to it (or your phone).
    David Teitelbaum

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I installed a Metra 44-PW22B from Ebay several years ago that has worked well. I like that it's a black mast and I keep the motorized antenna functionality. It looks like you can score one on the jungle website for around $70: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-44-PW22.../dp/B000K50H8A
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    I installed a Metra 44-PW22B from Ebay several years ago that has worked well. I like that it's a black mast and I keep the motorized antenna functionality. It looks like you can score one on the jungle website for around $70: https://www.amazon.com/Metra-44-PW22.../dp/B000K50H8A
    FYI
    If you do decide to replace the motorized antennae, make sure you do not need the reversing relay. Most newer replacements have it built in internally so you have to remove the one behind the driver's seat under the carpet to have the new one work correctly. You may also have to trim a fin on the grill so the mast doesn't hit it.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks, everybody! I might give the manual one from DMCH a shot since it's only $12. I figure I can probably just leave it down while I'm in town and only put it up when I'm going on road trips (and probably unlikely to stop at the car wash).

I ordered the manual one from DMCH and it looked like it would fit (and had a black mast) but I was going to have to take the old one out to get it in there and it seemed like more trouble than it was worth. I ended up getting the $10 rubber universal mast from Autozone and just sticking an M6 machine screw through the old retainer nut with the screw end sticking up and then screwing it on with a rubber grommet for spacing. I left the stump of the old mast with the brass tube holder in place under the retainer and the setup seems like it gets decent reception. I'll see how it holds up on the way to Vegas in a couple days...

My VIN:    16795

Autozone stocks this one
    https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...ant/220455_0_0

Silver instead of black mast, but it fits on the original power antenna mount without any additional hardware. It's not particularly hard to replace.