FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing help- moving tomorrow!

My VIN:    5634

Towing help- moving tomorrow!

Hi guys its been a while !
    Ive rented a garage to store the car, more space, easier to work in it there and its pretty cheap.

Ive got someone coming at 9am to tow the car 0.5 miles, down a hill for most of the journey, then up a slight incline for a few hundred meters. As in tow the car with a rope.

Ive just been out with the rope to find there is nowhere to attach it to at the front.

When youre putting it on a trailer, what do you attach the winch to?
    Im looking at the chassis now, the anti-roll bar at the front seems a bad choice, all i can see is having the rope in a v,
    Around the bottom of the swingarm, to tow vehicle, back to other swingarm (what the front spring sits on).

Has anyone got a better idea, for some reason i thought i had a towing point on the delorean, maybe previously wripped off?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Andy_; 09-07-2022 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

5FDBBD3D-7D97-4959-AC2C-48B497440F43.jpeg

I may just hire a trailer.

The only option i can see is where ive put the 2 red lines. It doesnt seem a great option anyway.
    Obviouly the front wheels arent meant to be the cars driving force, im guessing i could damage the frame front and maybe wrip a wheel off.

So if im putting a non-running delorean on a trailer, what do i attach the winch to? Ideally at the front so the louvres not fly up in the wind

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

There are two U shaped hooks up front. When winching I just grab one of them.

I would advise against flat towing.
    Last edited by Josh; 09-07-2022 at 03:10 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1561

Definitely don't tow it from the sway bar, the control arms, or any part of the suspension really. There are dedicated tow hooks at the front and the back. The ones at the front are welded to the frame right under the front frame extension. I don't have a picture handy but it should be pretty obvious, they're just 2 loops.

But honestly, putting the thing on a roll back trailer would be your safest bet. Especially since you're going down a hill with no brakes on the rolling chassis.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    6125

Use the tow loops in the front (Green Arrows). Do not use control arms (Red Arrows) or you will bend them.

If the front tow loops are broken or missing and you only need to pull the car a couple hundred feet, just pull the car backwards using the tow eyes at the rear.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_ View Post

The only option i can see is where ive put the 2 red lines. It doesnt seem a great option anyway.
    Obviouly the front wheels arent meant to be the cars driving force, im guessing i could damage the frame front and maybe wrip a wheel off.

So if im putting a non-running delorean on a trailer, what do i attach the winch to? Ideally at the front so the louvres not fly up in the wind
    So have I been out of it for a while or is something just off with your picture? Are you making a limo delorean like Rich W?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_ View Post

Is that what your towing? Or is that just a file photo you were using. Like the others said there should be a loop. I wouldn’t be afraid to tow 1/2 a mile with a rope as long as you trust the tow driver. Any chance you just coast down the hill and get the tow when you come to a stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Is that what your towing? Or is that just a file photo you were using. Like the others said there should be a loop. I wouldn’t be afraid to tow 1/2 a mile with a rope as long as you trust the tow driver. Any chance you just coast down the hill and get the tow when you come to a stop?
    Sorry should have been clearer.

Thats a full chassis photo i found on google.mines a full car, I was looking for something to attach to without wripping off the front lower piece below the bumper.
    It would appear my tow hoops (the chain loop pieces) were not welded well and / or are missing.

Ive not touched the car for 4-5 years. It ran well then.

Now it will only run with the plug swap, wont rev, i thought if i tow it to the new garage i can fix it there, but
    If i cant tow it and have to hire a trailer i may be better off just trying to get it running now and drive it there.
    Its had 12L of esso premium plus, a 5% e10, oils good and sparks strong. Time to invest in a fuel pressure tester kit probably. I’ll check the hoses tomorrow.
    Any tips, i need it to run for 5 minutes.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Towing with a rope should be a last resort. You can't stop without having it hit the tow vehicle and you can't tow downhill. The only way to do it is if the brakes work and someone steers the car. Because of all of the damage you could do it is a lot safer to have it flat-bedded. Especially if you don't have any insurance or plates on it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2245

Sounds like you should use a flat bed tow truck to move the car. You can use the rear tow hooks if your fronts are gone and load it on backward. If you're not going far or fast you shouldn't have to worry about the louvers. I wouldn't just pull it with another car, if you absolutely had to I guess you could pull it backwards with someone in the car to use the break and go very slow.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast