FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No first gear when cold

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

No first gear when cold

OK, my car will not pull out in first when the fluid is cold. It will pull out in second gear....shifts normally to third. Once or twice around the neighborhood and it shifts fine. Fluid level is normal, clean, filter is fairly new but I'm not dropping the pan because like I said...once warmed up, it shifts fine.

Computer is 15 years old but is a newer design.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'd try the test HERE to see what the computer is telling it to do first...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I second hooking up a light box to see what the shift computer, aka governor, is telling the transmission what gear to be in. Refer the table in the Workshop Manual, it will tell you what lights should be on for each gear. There was a car that would not shift correctly. The cause turned out to be a blob of silicone stuck in one of the solenoids in the valve body. It was not an intermittent problem but I mention it because not every problem is listed in the manual. Sometimes you must try to figure them out. Anyway, using the light box is a good place to start. Could just be a dirty electrical connection somewhere and once it gets a little warm or some vibration, it works. Another thing you can do is a careful visual inspection of the wiring harness. It could have gotten burned or caught up somewhere. While you are checking the harness make sure the vacuum line is hooked up. I have seen the hoses get rock hard and crack or fall off. When you get a problem with the automatic transmission my first advice is to do ALL of the on-car checks listed in the manual. Often just by going over the whole system you stumble on the problem or you take care of anything that is neglected like the level in the final drive or a split C/V boot that you didn't know you had.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Check the fuse for the shift computer too. Maybe the contacts are not great, but improve enough to function ok once warmed up a little. Fuse #13. 10 Amp.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks all! I will mess with it some this weekend.

It wouldn't be the fuse. If there was a problem with the fuse all you would have is 3rd gear. You would not have ANY shifts when cold.
    David Teitelbaum

It may have been fluid level. I put about 1/2 quart in it(leaks on the dipstick tube seal that I just live with). The fluid was just so clean on the stick I couldn't read it right. I added a little and drove it and almost immediately it started shifting into first. I then added about 1/2 quart more (never slipped in gear mind you) and I could see it now full warm on the stick. Took it on a date last night and she performed perfectly.

I will drive it cold next chance I get and see where I stand.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Took it on a date last night and she performed perfectly.
    What did, the car or the girl?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

In your first post you said the level was "normal" so I assumed the problem was not due to low fluid level. A low fluid level (just low enough so once it gets warm and expands you are OK) can certainly cause shifting problems. Perform the fluid level check as per the Workshop Manual and fix any leaks. Make sure you check the level when the car is level. I would still go over all of the external on-car checks and adjustments anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    In your first post you said the level was "normal" so I assumed the problem was not due to low fluid level. A low fluid level (just low enough so once it gets warm and expands you are OK) can certainly cause shifting problems. Perform the fluid level check as per the Workshop Manual and fix any leaks. Make sure you check the level when the car is level. I would still go over all of the external on-car checks and adjustments anyway.
    I change the fluid every 6k miles, it was so clean I didn't realize it was a tad low because I thought it was reddish but once I added fluid, it was obviously red on the stick. Again, I haven't driven it cold yet so I don't know for sure if it is fixed. Probably will get a chance tomorrow night or Saturday.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast