FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: is this rear main seal ? only one side

My VIN:    11596

[QUOTE=glockworks21;275149]
    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Very rare for the transmission end cap gasket to leak (paper gasket). Oil hanging from the linkage is probably gear oil coming through the "selector shaft seal" and then getting into the bellows. This seal can only be replaced if you remove the end cap from the transmission and the spring inside makes it a Bitch (capital B).

I am about to order the seal and gasket to change this. The oil is all over the top of the linkage. Im 99 % sure its from selector shaft seal. Im going to put it on stands and ramps and give it a shot. I looked at blueprints and am not seeing the spring you refer to. No way to change without removing end cap? scale of 1-10 how hard is this job?

Thanks
    Dave..
    I have not attempted this job with the transmission in the car so please take my comments under that consideration.

Removing the cap should not be difficult. Disconnect the shift rod both at the bell crank and the shifter linkage and remove the rod from the car, noting which direction the bend in the rod goes. Might want to put a piece of painter's tape on it to mark front and rear as well as top and bottom. Then disconnect the crossgate cable from its pivot. Drain the oil from the transmission. Remove all of the M8 screws that hold the end cap to the transmission. Remove the end cap perhaps by tapping with a rubber mallet. Once off, you'll see the shift lever inside.

To remove the lever from the cap, first remove the small knockout plug and then tap out the roll pin holding the section finger to the lever shaft by tapping the pin out through the plug. Then you have to compress the spring enough to get the plastic half bushings out of the spring. I did it with small zip ties and plastic pry tools. The bushings will marr very easily if you use metal tools. Once the bushings are out, the lever slides out and you can change the seal.

Install is the reverse. I used a very thin coat of anaerobic on both sides of the new gasket and then torque to spec.

The spring took me at least an hour to remove and about the same to reinstall!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    15275

Hi

I have removed the end cap with the trans in the car.. its not too bad.. there are 2 bolts which are kind of hidden behind the bracket at the top but you just have to feel for them and take them out.. and once its out its fairly straight forward to take the linkage part out and replace the lip seal in it... if you have any issues feel free to pm me.... Dave...

Also while you are in there, make sure you check the torque on the 5th gear nut. One common issue with this transmission is the nut can back off and blow a hole in the end cap. Select two gears at the same time to lock both shafts in place so you can apply the correct torque. The nut is staked so undo the stake, check the torque, and re-stake the nut.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    1561

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Also while you are in there, make sure you check the torque on the 5th gear nut. One common issue with this transmission is the nut can back off and blow a hole in the end cap. Select two gears at the same time to lock both shafts in place so you can apply the correct torque. The nut is staked so undo the stake, check the torque, and re-stake the nut.
    I thinks it's also recommended to apply red loctite when tightening these nuts. It's been on my list to do for years. A friend of mine had this happen twice. No fun.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    I thinks it's also recommended to apply red loctite when tightening these nuts. It's been on my list to do for years. A friend of mine had this happen twice. No fun.
    Yes that's right, I should have said it. Use red loctite!
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

Thank you all. I will check that as well when I get everything out.

Thanks again
    Dave

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

oil collecting at the larger rubber grommet and working way down..
    for sure selector shaft seal yes?

Dave...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    oil collecting at the larger rubber grommet and working way down..
    for sure selector shaft seal yes?

Dave...
    Yep!
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3