FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Rear wheel bearing clunk

I too realized I also have (what is most likely) the wheel bearing clunk sounds.

I seem to have it from both sides as you can hear 2 distinctive "clunks" as I make hard turns. As the OP stated...its only when you turn the OPPOSITE direction you hear them clunk again.

I was searching, literally for years about what it could possibly be and have exhausted all other options, but the OP described my experience to a T, and I also have an early car.

Are you news bearings from DGO that you linked to still holding up well, and solving the problem?

Thanks!
    Jim

My VIN:    1561

Yep still silent back there. It's a big job to do just to rid of the occasional clunk, but if you're in there anyway doing some suspension work it's probably worth it. Be sure you also use the bearing race retaining compound I mentioned in the original post. I don't know how much that's helping but it's cheap insurance.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

Yeah, I plan on redoing my rear brakes (caliper rebuild, new rotos, pade, etc). May even do NOS wheel hubs.

I HAVE to get rid of that sound...ive gotten rid of all other creaks, squeaks, and clunks so its driving me nut but at least I know what it most likely is.

Big job in what sense? I was just gonna have a shop press in the new bearing into the hub and carrier then just reinstall.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by jimgravina View Post
    Yeah, I plan on redoing my rear brakes (caliper rebuild, new rotos, pade, etc). May even do NOS wheel hubs.

I HAVE to get rid of that sound...ive gotten rid of all other creaks, squeaks, and clunks so its driving me nut but at least I know what it most likely is.

Big job in what sense? I was just gonna have a shop press in the new bearing into the hub and carrier then just reinstall.
    Shouldn't be that bad at all if you have a machine shop do all the hard work, assuming your carrier pivot bolts aren't seized in the bushing sleeves.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Shouldn't be that bad at all if you have a machine shop do all the hard work, assuming your carrier pivot bolts aren't seized in the bushing sleeves.
    I should be good on that front...just redid the suspension back there last year with new bolts and anti-seize so that shouldn't be an issue. But yeah, I would definitely have a shop press in the bearings.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4