FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Complete suspension rebuild

Complete suspension rebuild

I'm looking to do a complete suspension and brake rebuild. Looks for a parts list of all the bushings, ball joints, calipers, rotors, etc to do a complete rebuild if anyone has this. I thought I'd ask before reinventing the wheel so to speak. Also not concerned with staying original so any suggestions on upgrades. I've heard you can use the front caliper and rotor from a Miata for example. Thanks in advance.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I do not believe anyone has a complete setup. However you can somewhat easily piece everything together. This is my recommendation for going "All out" for a brake and suspension rebuild/upgrade.
    Delorean Midwest can supply all of the following with the exception of the KW coilovers that can be found at https://reidperformance.com/collecti...s/kw-coilovers

Suspension:
    • Billet Aluminum LCAs (come with new bushings and ball joints)
    • Adjustable Upper Control Arms (come with new bushings and ball joints)
    • LCA Outriggers (Minimizes steering wheel vibration by triangulating the LCA)
    • KW Coil overs (Best shock/spring/coil over you can find for these cars)
    • Adjustable Lower rear links (Allow camber gained while lowering to be corrected to stock
    • Superflex Poly or DMCH Trailing Arm Bushings
    • Inconel Trailing Arm Bolts
    • Rebuilt steering rack by PJ Grady
    • Check over Tie rod ends and any remaining rubber bushings for excessive wear and replace with standard replacements if needed.

Brakes:
    • Miata Brake Upgrade, with Wilwood calipers and slotted rotors
    • Stock rebuild of rear calipers, with ceramic pads all around
    • Master Cylinder resleeve by PJ Grady

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Every vendor can help you decide just how "wild" or stock you want to go. Many of the parts are rebuildable if you stay stock. For example, rotors and calipers can be serviced and reused, not replaced. If you decide to use poly the ride will be harsher. Tires are one of the biggest things that determine how compliant the suspension is. If your tires are over 7 years old, they should be replaced. If your brakes are working and not leaking, all you might need are new pads and a fluid flush. Another thing to consider if you are doing this is if you want to change the ride height. When you are all done you should get a 4 wheel alignment.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11596

I did a similar job last year and as others have said, you will probably end up buying a mish-mash of parts from various vendors. I'm not going to say what I did is the "ultimate" package but it worked for me.

• DPI Spec Suspension kit includes coilovers, billet LCA's, Amsteer lower ball joints, adjustable caster limiting arms, poly front sway bushings, and rear lower adjustable control arms
    • Upper arms were refinished and powder coated black, new Amsteer upper ball joints, poly bushings from DeLoreanGo
    • Stripped and refinished trailing arms, painted with gray POR 15 and Rustoleum Smoke gray paint
    • Toby Tab iconel trailing arm bolts
    • SS TAB plate kit from DMCMW
    • Tab bushings from DMCMW
    • Standard bushings for upper and lower rear control arms (DMCMW)
    • New SKF bearings all around
    • Powder coated knuckles, dust shields, rear upper control arms, and caliper mounts in the front
    • Grady rebuilt rack, DPI tie rod ends with the allen key studs
    • SS pistons for brakes (DMCMW)
    • Brake calipers, hubs, all hardware, every other little bit was sent to DMCMW for cleaning and yellow zinc plating
    • Standard brake pads from DMCMW
    • Black POR15 for the sway bar

I didn't reuse anything unless it was plated, painted, or powder coated. Everything looks better than new now.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Thanks everyone this is great!

My VIN:    1561

Only thing I'd add to the above is to consider poly for all bushings. I know a lot of people will say the ride is too harsh and to only do a couple of them like the sway bar or trailing arm. But I replaced all of mine with SuperFlex and don't regret it. Yes, it's harsher but not nearly as bad as I was expecting based on what I was reading in the past.

I got all mine back when Martin Gutkowski was in operation. But it looks like DeloreanGo has picked up where he left off and they carry the full set.

Personally, I think the stock brakes on a DeLorean with a stock drivetrain are just fine. Maybe if you're tracking your car a brake upgrade would be more worthwhile, but racing in a delorean would be pretty silly . I just opted to rebuild my calipers with stainless steel pistons and have them powder coated.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post

I got all mine back when Martin Gutkowski was in operation. But it looks like DeloreanGo has picked up where he left off and they carry the full set.
    That's right, I actually used Superflex bushings for the sway bar to LCA connection. You can get all the superflex stuff at their website. I understand the TAB bushings are great too.

https://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=111

For poly bushings, I also greased them with Energy Suspension Formula 5 grease.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...4aAux8EALw_wcB
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    Only thing I'd add to the above is to consider poly for all bushings. I know a lot of people will say the ride is too harsh and to only do a couple of them like the sway bar or trailing arm. But I replaced all of mine with SuperFlex and don't regret it. Yes, it's harsher but not nearly as bad as I was expecting based on what I was reading in the past.
    Same here. I have almost entirely replaced the bushings in my car with Superflex Poly. I would not consider them harsh at all. They are a quality product.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.