FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: random hot start -no start issue no consistancy

My VIN:    nov 81

random hot start -no start issue no consistancy

the next gremlin----

2 different occasions this has happened-today being the worst.
    the car starts right away cold. no issues. a couple weeks ago it would not restart after a short drive. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and it restarted fine. drove it home and turned it off and on a few times with no issue hot starting. Drove a couple more times over the next week or so and had no issues. started hot or cold every time.
    Today it started right away. I drove it on a couple errands and it was fine. started back up right away at each stop.
    Got home and parked it. Went out an hour later to move it and it wont start. Ive turned it over off and on for last 20 minutes. out of all the tries it tried to fire once and quit. Im sure there a 15 things that can cause this but im hoping for a simple few things to check first.

Thanks
    Dave

My VIN:    03572

Does it seem to follow the daily temperature? Sounds like a rest pressure loss problem. If you take your air cleaner off, start the car, shut it off you can feel that air flow plate has resistance to being pressed down. That is the rest pressure holding it back. Keep checking that air plate and time how long it takes to have no resistance (don't run the engine again).

Most cars will hold that rest pressure for 3 hours or more. With a bad fuel accumulator you only get about 10 minuets of rest pressure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Does it seem to follow the daily temperature? Sounds like a rest pressure loss problem. If you take your air cleaner off, start the car, shut it off you can feel that air flow plate has resistance to being pressed down. That is the rest pressure holding it back. Keep checking that air plate and time how long it takes to have no resistance (don't run the engine again).

Most cars will hold that rest pressure for 3 hours or more. With a bad fuel accumulator you only get about 10 minuets of rest pressure.

Thanks
    Im on it..
    its been about 30 minutes and still has pressure.
    I also checked spark earlier--seems fine

its completely cold now and nothing.... does not try to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    Thanks
    Im on it..
    its been about 30 minutes and still has pressure.
    I also checked spark earlier--seems fine

its completely cold now and nothing.... does not try to fire.
    The next common problem are the connections on the resistor pack on the back fire wall. Pull each one off and on again and see it that fixes the problem.
    Dave M vin 03572

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think you are not chasing a fuel problem but an electrical one. I would check voltage at the fuel pump when it acts up.

Is your RPM relay stock?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The next common problem are the connections on the resistor pack on the back fire wall. Pull each one off and on again and see it that fixes the problem.
    IMG_6042.jpg

are you referring to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think you are not chasing a fuel problem but an electrical one. I would check voltage at the fuel pump when it acts up.

Is your RPM relay stock?
    I did actually replace rpm relay. this isnt related to that. the problem happened first with the old relay. I will check fuel pump (trying to figure that out how to do that now.)

Thanks

I did actually replace rpm relay. this isnt related to that. the problem happened first with the old relay. I will check fuel pump (trying to figure that out how to do that now.)

Thanks
    Yes a non working fuel pump would cause a no start but you had rest pressure with no start so it's not the fuel pump operation.

Mostly the RPM relays will fail when your driving (engine shuts down).
    Dave M vin 03572

unbelievable! its the lower clip on the fuel pump! its was loose, i pushed it in and it fired right up.
    I had receipts from po that this was replaced. Ive never looked at it before today.
    The clip wont lock in place so im trying to work that out now. but at least ive found it.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!

Dave
    Attached Images

unbelievable! its the lower clip on the fuel pump! its was loose, i pushed it in and it fired right up.
    I had receipts from po that this was replaced. Ive never looked at it before today.
    The clip wont lock in place so im trying to work that out now. but at least ive found it.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!

Dave
    Glad you got it. You will find most problems turn out to be electrical. Mostly connectors with age, oxidation and loss of tension.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast