FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: random hot start -no start issue no consistancy

My VIN:    1561

Those connectors seem to be problematic. I think a lot of people use zip ties to hold them on.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    Those connectors seem to be problematic. I think a lot of people use zip ties to hold them on.

yeah, it all looks new but was warped.. I was able to heat the plastic on the harness slightly while bending it out with a screw driver. It took the warp out and locked in tight after that. I really need to go through every receipt the po has and check everything that was done. I trust nothing at this point with everything ive found.

thanks again everyone

My VIN:    1561

They don't call them "dreaded previous owners" for nothing!
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can't blame everything on DPO's. Most owners do not do their own work, they pay someone to do it. That work can only be as good as any shop's worst guy on a bad day. Add to that sub-standard parts and the results can't always turn out well. Figure any old car has had many hands on it throughout it's life. Some of the work may have been done on the side of the road to just get it going and they never got it fixed right. Best advice is to go over EVERYTHING if you want the car to be reliable. I start with the gas tank. Clean it out and inspect all of the parts inside. Next would be the fusebox. Some of the most "creative" work happens there!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You can't blame everything on DPO's. Most owners do not do their own work, they pay someone to do it. That work can only be as good as any shop's worst guy on a bad day. Add to that sub-standard parts and the results can't always turn out well. Figure any old car has had many hands on it throughout it's life. Some of the work may have been done on the side of the road to just get it going and they never got it fixed right. Best advice is to go over EVERYTHING if you want the car to be reliable. I start with the gas tank. Clean it out and inspect all of the parts inside. Next would be the fusebox. Some of the most "creative" work happens there!
    lol ... yes I have already found a lot of creative work. I did not mean to blame owner. Many of the receipts ive gone through were from a dodge/chrysler dealership on east coast that he took it to. When car arrived and I started going through all the paperwork. I saw dodge/chrysler and it kinda made me sick )
    many of the receipts are hand written work orders and from years ago.. The car sat for a long period after.. I know what im in for...

thanks again

My VIN:    10270

We had a driving tour years ago come to a full stop on a 1.5 car-width road due to the same problem, right near a fairly blind corner. That was an exciting field service.

With the way this connector touches the closing plate, constant shifting of the body/frame/fuel tank probably leads to this. A single zip tie around the connector is cheap insurance.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    lol ... yes I have already found a lot of creative work. I did not mean to blame owner. Many of the receipts ive gone through were from a dodge/chrysler dealership on east coast that he took it to. When car arrived and I started going through all the paperwork. I saw dodge/chrysler and it kinda made me sick )
    many of the receipts are hand written work orders and from years ago.. The car sat for a long period after.. I know what im in for...

thanks again
    Well maybe that Dodge/Chrysler dealership was a DeLorean dealer back in the day so having the car serviced there might actually not be a negative. Of course sitting for long periods usually doesn't help much.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2