FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to change the water sensor for the water temperature gauge (#102450)?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by larsmhh View Post
    Thank you for the hint to check the (old) gauge and/or the (new) sensor about their cooperation due to the exchange!!!
    The new sensor reads 320 - 340 Ohms at 100 C boiling water, but my gauge just wants 90 - 95 Ohms to show 104 C equal to 220 F.
    This means, the new sensor will also not work propperly in my car!....
    Are you saying you bought a replacement #102450 sensor from a DeLorean parts vendor and tested it, proving it won't work properly with your gauge?

In that case did you also check your old ("failed") sensor with same test?

It would be interesting to know if the old sensor behaves similar to the new sensor - because the problem may be in the gauge or the wiring/circuit, not in the sensor.

Keep in mind some gauges and lamps in the DeLorean instrument cluster are known to misbehave due to aging of the flex circuit.

(Note: a replacement sensor sold by a DeLorean parts vendor should plug-and-play, not require resistors or special threading.)
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Look at my thread starting at post 25 and you will see I got about the same results as you for sensor resistance.

https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1...t=GAUGE+SENSOR
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    #1550

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Are you saying you bought a replacement #102450 sensor from a DeLorean parts vendor and tested it, proving it won't work properly with your gauge?

In that case did you also check your old ("failed") sensor with same test?

It would be interesting to know if the old sensor behaves similar to the new sensor - because the problem may be in the gauge or the wiring/circuit, not in the sensor.

Keep in mind some gauges and lamps in the DeLorean instrument cluster are known to misbehave due to aging of the flex circuit.

(Note: a replacement sensor sold by a DeLorean parts vendor should plug-and-play, not require resistors or special threading.)
    Hi Rich!

I also checked the old sensor, which measures lower resistance tham the new one.
    You are right, I could ask the ventor to take bak the sensor, because it should be plug-and-play, but I changed the gauge to the metric one and I am not sure, if the sensor ist also build to work for the metric device too...
    I got a message today, that my new sensor is shipped and should arrive next week

@ Bitsyncmaster
    Thank you for the linked discussion. Now I know, I?m not alone with this problem
    I will update you as soon as I will have some news to spread.

Yes, the sending units are m14x1.25, at least the one I bought from DeLoreanGo was.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 12-23-2022 at 05:26 PM.

A happy new year to you!

The VDO-sensor arrived and looks a litttle different to the sensor I bought at Delorean.eu in the Netherlands.
    I just wanted to show you the differences on a photo.

Currently the sensor is already in the turning shop to give it a M14x1,25 thread.
    Let?s see, if this works.

Thank You JohnnyK for the confirmation of the thread!

Bye for now,

Lars
    Attached Images

Hi!
    I got the sensor back from the turning shop. Checked the resistance and it is the same as it was before its modification.
    The hex head is shorter now, but the neck (above the thread) in return looks the same.
    I am very happy with the result.

IMG_20230104_192005.jpg

So I hope that I can fit it in this weekend

Is the sensor just screwed in or do you use some kind of sealant (like i.e. Curil T)?
    Do you expect problems due to the longer sensor body (it is about 4 mm longer than the DMC-sensor) - or is the enough space?

Best wishes,

Lars.

Finished

Hi!
    I used this weekend to change the water sensor. There is so little space to work that it took me 10 minutes to loose the old sensor.
    It was quite a lot water that floated out of the hole since I got my new sensor in (although I emptied the water reservoir before I started to work on the sensor). I lost about 2 liters. The new sensor fitted perfectly.

IMG_20230106_070308.jpg

The VDO sensor did show higher temperatures on the gauge than the water really was (I checked the actual water temerature with a FLIR camera), so I added an inline ressitor of 27 Ohms and now the gauge shows the correct temperature (at least about the significant temperature range between 90?C - 110?C) .

How much was this project? I paid 36? for the VDO sensor and 39? to the turnnig shop, so it was 75? for a working water temperature gauge - I think it was worth it.

Thank you for your help and
    see you soon,

Lars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2