FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Time Machine as daily driver?

My VIN:    7012

Time Machine as daily driver?

Do any time machine owners use them as somewhat daily drivers? How waterproof are they with the window removed? Are the flux bands OK in the rain?

I commute twice a week but have some flexiblity in that. I'd never take a time machine out in a snowstorm, but I'm sure if I took one of these things to work a couple of times a week throughout the year, I'd eventually get caught by a surprise shower or something.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Do you have a Delorean converted to a time machine?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10907

Disclaimer: I don't have one myself but I'd think a lot would depend on what materials your mods were made of and how they were installed. IIRC there were a couple of time machine owners who had parts damaged by weather at the last DCS. If you went to the trouble and expense to buy/build a time machine, you should probably plan on either keeping it in the garage if there's any chance of precip or getting a custom tarp if you can.

That said however, look up Oliver and Terry Holler. They've driven their time machine nearly a million miles and I bet they could give you a lot of advice on how to construct one for maximum durability. There are also non-invasive ways to build one so that the mods are removable, maybe that's a better option for you if you want to drive your car regularly.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I wouldn?t dare leave a TM out in the open. People do enough silly stuff to a DeLorean by itself unattended. Asking for trouble, unless it is in a secure parking garage where nobody can get to it.

My VIN:    7012

Thanks guys. No, I don't have one. I really enjoy making replica stuff from movies, and made a Flux Capacitor on a whim a few months ago, and got the itch to make more. Plus I'm in the market for a new car soon, so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and have some fun making more parts and getting a DeLorean to drive around while I add stuff to it over time.

Thanks for the referral! From the Holler's website it looks like their last event was in June, but pretty close to me. I'll definitely keep an eye out for their next event and see if I can politely pester them with questions when they're not too busy :-)

And yes, I would be concerned with the safety of the vehicle, but could potentially get some monitoring for it for when I was parked at work. Other than that, it would be typically within eyesight (e.g. at a kids soccer game) or only left alone for a short while at the supermarket or whatever.