FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DMC-12 design review video segment: 'Is the Alpha5 the true spiritual successor...?'

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

DMC-12 design review video segment: 'Is the Alpha5 the true spiritual successor...?'

Check out a 10 minute 'DeLorean design' segment within last week's episode of REV from DW-TV

Their teaser: "Is the Alpha5 the true spiritual successor to the legendary DeLorean DMC-12?"

It starts at 15min35sec, right after a Lambo review. Segment includes a nice sprinkling of old and more recent video clips under narration about the DMC-12's design heritage and its influence.

It centers around an auto design expert's insights on the DMC-12's design innovation, comparing it well against the plain vanilla cars of that time up to today's bloat-mobiles. This piece must have been triggered by the Alpha5's August reveal - check for the expert's opinion of the Alpha5's design.

Giugiaro himself reflects a bit on the DMC-12. His Hyundai Pony Coupe concept from 1974 gets a nod as does Hyundai's recent N Vision 74 show car, both of which have more than a little DMC-12 design vibe.

I think JZD would have approved of the respect paid to the DMC-12.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

That ItalDesign 'DaVinci' / Alpha 5 is not a successor to the original car. N vision 74 is a better representation - but any follow-up project needs to cater to the history and DNA. Stainless body, rear engine (AWD?), and of course the doors.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10907

I'd even be cool with a carbon fiber body if it looked more like the original car. I don't doubt that JZD would have used today's advanced materials if they'd been available/affordable at the time.

But instead we got a car that bears only a slight resemblance to the car we all love, is affordable only for multimillionaires and isn't street legal. Get back to me when it's $30k and I can drive it to Costco because gullwings actually are sweet for getting big boxes in and out of.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Spoiler alert:

For those who may have skipped the linked video with the review of the Alpha5 the car design expert's opinion of the Alpha5 sounded a lot like "meh".

He says Alpha5 doesn't move the needle today the way the DMC-12 did back in the day.

In his words, "It [Alpha5] doesn't look like real innovation. It seems to me the new DeLorean just fits in a range of super-powerful electric cars."

He spends a fair bit of time admiring the DMC-12 as a bold design icon especially against what else was then being offered in the sports/GT segment.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10644

I think there are a few ways to be a successor of "DeLorean":

1. A modern DMC-12 - Hyundai's N74 concept seems to be the closest to this
    2. An evolution of DMC - The Alpha 5 is the result of imagining a continuation of the DeLorean Motor Company
    3. A spiritual successor - Forget the legacy materials and shape of the DMC-12. How would JZD's ideals be implemented today?

If you're in the "it's got to have stainless and gullwings" camp, then you're looking for #1. If you want an inexpensive, long-lasting car, you're looking for #3. I'm not sure who's looking for #2.

PS. Giugiaro doesn't know how to use a mouse.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Boil an egg. Cut in in half longways, place it on a Hot Wheels chassis. Congrats, you got an Alpha V Hot Wheels.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9