FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Inspired wheels. 17 and 18 inch

My VIN:    2245

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I miss the stock style wheels, and given the opportunity would be interested in designing and manufacturing a upsized set. I have seen the wheels on the 2JZ car in person and they look spot on to the originals, just several sizes larger. A little too large but that is a matter of opinion. I do also have some reservations towards multi piece wheels, if not done correctly they can chronically leak.

I am currently running 16x7F and 17x9R. I would go a little wider in the front but tire sizes are limiting. I strongly believe these diameters suit the car well. 45 series tires still give a decent amount of sidewall.

A somewhat quick model of a front wheel in CAD with editable diameter/width

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I miss the stock style wheels, and given the opportunity would be interested in designing and manufacturing a upsized set. I have seen the wheels on the 2JZ car in person and they look spot on to the originals, just several sizes larger. A little too large but that is a matter of opinion. I do also have some reservations towards multi piece wheels, if not done correctly they can chronically leak.

I am currently running 16x7F and 17x9R. I would go a little wider in the front but tire sizes are limiting. I strongly believe these diameters suit the car well. 45 series tires still give a decent amount of sidewall.

A somewhat quick model of a front wheel in CAD with editable diameter/width

Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6125

Nice work on the CAD model Josh. I bet there are low volume wheel manufacturers that could build upsized wheels and keep the costs from getting too crazy. Not sure if DMCMW would consider getting into the market since the demand is unknown.

It would be something unique to offer with engine swaps, big brake kits, or to people who just want to run a modern wheel and tire size to expand tire options.

I just randomly googled a few places that might be able to help.

https://www.cwswheels.com/

https://forgeline.com/

https://www.performancealloys.com/

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    In my opinion 16/17 would work better because the tyres especially at the front look sprayed on. Also the extra width should have gone into a deeper dish. Instead the wheel nuts are recessed really deeply and it doesn't look right.
    I would go for the 16 and 17 inch wheels. I think a price of $2000 for the set would keep me interested.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Yes, I am all over the place on this one. Switching to your 5 lug solution would offer tons of wheel options but ultimately I would prefer to keep the original look of the wheels albeit with updated dimensions. I am currently running stock rear wheels in the front with 205/50R-15 tires and I am super happy with the look and handling. As far as the rear is concerned, if you Josh, make the move to design an updated stock rear wheel I would be first in line to purchase once the width and offset is nailed down. I think 17" is ideal (but I am a little uncertain if a 15/17 front/back stagger would look odd...?)
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Yes, I am all over the place on this one. Switching to your 5 lug solution would offer tons of wheel options but ultimately I would prefer to keep the original look of the wheels albeit with updated dimensions. I am currently running stock rear wheels in the front with 205/50R-15 tires and I am super happy with the look and handling. As far as the rear is concerned, if you Josh, make the move to design an updated stock rear wheel I would be first in line to purchase once the width and offset is nailed down. I think 17" is ideal (but I am a little uncertain if a 15/17 front/back stagger would look odd...?)
    Revert to factory ride height at the front, and should even things out ;-)

Who owns the wheels in the picture??.Thanks

Thanks

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 7280Fowler View Post
    Thanks
    Did you view the entire thread?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Is this still an ongoing project?

Seeing as the newly presented GTO at Sema has a 17/18 configuration in OEM look wheels

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast