FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, solid lugs that fit correctly!

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I don't really understand the desire for solid lug nuts... DMCH offers exact reproductions of the originals that look and fit like they are supposed to without sticking out too far like that. And they're cheap. I really don't mean to knock anybody but I just don't get it. Solid lug nuts with chrome can have the chrome plating flake off if you use an impact instead of hand tools. I'm not sure how that's any different than a cap breaking off.

How often are you guys removing your wheels that you are worried about the caps breaking off the original style lug nuts anyway? If torqued correctly it shouldn't be a problem. I replaced my lug nuts a few years ago with the repro capped variety and have had the wheels on and off several times since then with no problems. To each his own, but this just seems like this solid vs. capped issue wouldn't even exist if Hervey hadn't created that side by side photo trying to knock his competition and convince people to buy his 'better' parts.
    I've had capped lug nuts shear off on my Jeep before, and the Delorean. What a pain in the ass. I prefer solid on all my vehicles.
    I don't use impact tools, but I do take them off fairly often.
    As for the price, a set of 16 from DMCH cost $63. The ones I got from Costco cost $8 total.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    16882.

Finally, solid lugs that fit correctly!

What exactly is "taper?" And what is the taper of the stock DeLorean lug nuts and how do I know or measure the taper of a potential replacement lug nut? All of my OEM nuts were destroyed by an idiot exotic car "expert" with an impact wrench at 140+ foot pounds of torque so I had to buy all new ones from a tire shop in order to drive home. Long story. But I'm not sure if the taper is correct on the replacements. How do I know?
    Last edited by Hokie; 06-09-2015 at 08:34 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    What exactly is "taper?" And what is the taper of the stock DeLorean lug nuts and how do I know or measure the taper of a potential replacement lug nut? All of my OEM nuts were destroyed by an idiot exotic car "expert" with an impact wrench at 140+ foot pounds of torque so I had to buy all new ones from a tire shop in order to drive home. Long story. But I'm not sure if the taper is correct on the replacements. How do I know?
    At the threaded end of the nut the surface is at an angle, not flat like a normal nut. This is the taper angle and it must match the same angle cut into the wheels. I really don't know the DMC spec, never needed to as I just have them on the shelf. Visually I'd guess 60 degrees.

lugnut.jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Finally, solid lugs that fit correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    At the threaded end of the nut the surface is at an angle, not flat like a normal nut. This is the taper angle and it must match the same angle cut into the wheels. I really don't know the DMC spec, never needed to as I just have them on the shelf. Visually I'd guess 60 degrees.

lugnut.jpg
    The lug nuts I have APPEAR to be the same taper (no way to measure) but the tapered portion appears to be a bit shorter. Will that be a problem?
    Last edited by Hokie; 06-09-2015 at 10:43 PM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

The lug nuts I have APPEAR to be the same taper (no way to measure) but the tapered portion of the lug nut is not as long, 1/4 of an inch compared to 3/8 inch for OEM. Will this present a problem?
    Put the two nuts together so that the taper faces are touching but the nuts are pointing in opposite directions, so they will be offset. Hard to explain in words.

If the taper angle is the same, the axis of one nut will be parallel to the other.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    03572

60 degree taper is the norm. Honda will use a rounded seat. Racing wheels may use 45 degree.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The lug nuts I have APPEAR to be the same taper (no way to measure) but the tapered portion appears to be a bit shorter. Will that be a problem?
    Shouldn't be a problem other than SWMBO getting upset with having your greasy lugnuts on the dining room tablecloth.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

M12x1.5 with an acorn seat seems to be pretty common. DeLorean, Chrysler, and Honda all use it... Why not remove one of your lug nuts, take into your local auto parts store, and see what they have which will match?

FWIW, I used McGard, but like another user posted earlier, they do stick out a tad in the front.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem other than SWMBO getting upset with having your greasy lugnuts on the dining room tablecloth.
    Don't I know it!

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

I got these lugs from Gorilla. It's their "Tuner" aluminum series. I got these because they are colored & closely match my custom dark powder coated wheels, but more importantly they are shorter than the solid Gorillasthat I had & they don't extend far past the front wheels. They are also smaller diameter & use a spline drive adapter that won't scratch up the wheels. The spline drive does a little for anti theft too.
    Attached Images

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast