FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finally, solid lugs that fit correctly!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Finally, solid lugs that fit correctly!

If there was one thing that hurt the looks of my car, it was the lugs beat to death by shops and their damn impacts..most are just too lazy to use a torque wrench and I now refuse to let anyone near it with an impact to tighten them.

I was detailing my frame a few weeks ago and could'nt get one lug off(don't get me started on how mad I was about that). Finally after wrenching the cover off yet another lug I decided to find a set that works.

I found plenty of lugs, but nothing would work on the front wheel. Every lug I tried stuck out too much on the fronts...until now, I found a set at a Honda dealer, and the same socket size to boot. They are just a little shorter than factory lugs, which is fine as long as they don't bottom out on the stud. Here are some pics of some of my old lugs with the new Honda lug I found:

Here they are mounted on the front wheel...they are actually a little shorter than factory but suprisingly don't bottom out on the stud and still look nice:

And here is the part number, I have no idea what kind of Honda they came off of, and I doubt that a year/model would help anyway because of the different trim levels/wheels offered on the same model car during the same year. So here is the part number if you want a set. The good news, they are polished and solid, the bad news, I paid almost 100.00 for the set. PS: In case the picture doesnt work in the future, Honda part number 90304-SA5-013
    Last edited by Michael; 10-14-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added information
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

nice find, thanks for sharing!

they look great!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    5875

I agree, those do look great.

Thanks for sharing your findings!
    Andy Garand

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Not to spoil your day, but...
    They look very much the same as the ones Hervey offers (and cheaper).
    I have those Herveys on my car, look nice, fit well and... well you fill it in.

Welmoed.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Not to spoil your day, but...
    They look very much the same as the ones Hervey offers (and cheaper).
    I have those Herveys on my car, look nice, fit well and... well you fill it in.

Welmoed.
    On the old site when I brought this up, everyone said Harvey's stuck out on the front wheels;

The ones he sells that acutally fit are no better than stock, the chrome will flake and the cap will come off. The ones that are solid chrome, with no chrome or cap to come off are too long.
    Honda lugs for the win!
    Last edited by Michael; 10-15-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    1597

Ive had 2 stainless caps come off "pita" and since got rid of all of em.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    16882.

What exactly is "taper?" And what is the taper of the stock DeLorean lug nuts and how do I know or measure the taper of a potential replacement lug nut? All of my OEM nuts were destroyed by an idiot exotic car "expert" with an impact wrench at 140+ foot pounds of torque so I had to buy all new ones from a tire shop in order to drive home. Long story. But I'm not sure if the taper is correct on the replacements. How do I know?
    Last edited by Hokie; 06-09-2015 at 08:34 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    What exactly is "taper?" And what is the taper of the stock DeLorean lug nuts and how do I know or measure the taper of a potential replacement lug nut? All of my OEM nuts were destroyed by an idiot exotic car "expert" with an impact wrench at 140+ foot pounds of torque so I had to buy all new ones from a tire shop in order to drive home. Long story. But I'm not sure if the taper is correct on the replacements. How do I know?
    At the threaded end of the nut the surface is at an angle, not flat like a normal nut. This is the taper angle and it must match the same angle cut into the wheels. I really don't know the DMC spec, never needed to as I just have them on the shelf. Visually I'd guess 60 degrees.

lugnut.jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16882.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    At the threaded end of the nut the surface is at an angle, not flat like a normal nut. This is the taper angle and it must match the same angle cut into the wheels. I really don't know the DMC spec, never needed to as I just have them on the shelf. Visually I'd guess 60 degrees.

lugnut.jpg
    The lug nuts I have APPEAR to be the same taper (no way to measure) but the tapered portion appears to be a bit shorter. Will that be a problem?
    Last edited by Hokie; 06-09-2015 at 10:43 PM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    The lug nuts I have APPEAR to be the same taper (no way to measure) but the tapered portion of the lug nut is not as long, 1/4 of an inch compared to 3/8 inch for OEM. Will this present a problem?
    Put the two nuts together so that the taper faces are touching but the nuts are pointing in opposite directions, so they will be offset. Hard to explain in words.

If the taper angle is the same, the axis of one nut will be parallel to the other.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast