FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally, solid lugs that fit correctly!

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The solid Honda lugs look like a nice option, so I did a little more research.

Checked a few of the Online Honda Parts stores and there are a few places
    that offer the Honda lugs 90304-SA5-013 for as little as $5 each, which will
    work out to be $80 a set (a few places with free shipping as well).
    Maybe Hervey will do a bulk purchase to get the price down more.

Later,
    Rich W.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Please note, I have since discovered the front lugs bottom out ever so slightly after they have been torqued down. They don't even touch all the way around the stud end...that's how close the tolerance is. I asked a tech at the dealer and he said it was a non issue, but I thought I would mention it.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    11594, 17104, 16890, 6762, 6155, 16654, 6074, 2136, 4266

Club(s):   (DOI)

I could be wrong on this, but I thought I'd mention just in case.

Since I have a few Honda's around as well as my DeLorean, I remember trying the Honda lugs to see if the would work. Sure enough, the tread pitch is the same (12 x 1.5), depth is about right, and they use a 19mm socket. The issue is the seat; Honda OEM rims use a ball socket, and the DMC rims and lugs appear to use a cone seat. While they would certainly hold the wheel on, I was always cautioned about using lugs that didn't match the taper (on any type of car), so I bought the solid stainless ones from DMC EU when they were available.

Here's a pic I found that illustrates it:

And here's the lug nuts John has, note the seat:

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...n-lug-nuts.jpg

Could anyone else verify that the taper/lug seat is the same or different? I figure safety first
    Attached Images
    Justin

Wells Auto

'82 DeLorean DMC-12 11594
    '83 DeLorean DMC-12 17104 (CDN Spec)

I went through the Honda parts bin to find the right set. FYI, Honda makes more than just one set. If you read the thread, you will see the pics I uploaded showing the lugs in detail.

My VIN:    11594, 17104, 16890, 6762, 6155, 16654, 6074, 2136, 4266

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I went through the Honda parts bin to find the right set. FYI, Honda makes more than just one set. If you read the thread, you will see the pics I uploaded showing the lugs in detail.
    Np, that's why I attached a pic of the lug nut mentioned in the thread (with part number showing in the pic), which shows a ball seat.

Again, I was just looking for an opinion the seat since I recall it being mentioned on the old dmctalk.com site as well, thanks for verifying.

I do agree the honda lugs look great, if I didn't have the EU ones I would have wanted to use similar looking ones!

Thanks,
    Last edited by Wells Auto; 11-20-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: mis-type
    Justin

Wells Auto

'82 DeLorean DMC-12 11594
    '83 DeLorean DMC-12 17104 (CDN Spec)

Quote Originally Posted by cdmdmc View Post
    Np, that's why I attached a pic of the lug nut mentioned in the thread (with part number showing in the pic), which shows a ball seat.

Again, I was just looking for an opinion the seat since I recall it being mentioned on the old dmctalk.com site as well, thanks for verifying.

I do agree the honda lugs look great, if I didn't have the EU ones I would have wanted to use similar looking ones!

Thanks,
    I went back and looked and the seat is shorter on the honda lugs, but the angle looks the same. I am and have been running them and I have not noticed any ill effects yet, or any signs that they are becoming loose.

In the end it's up to the car owner if he/she wants to use these. I just thought I would share since nobody can come up with a short lug that doesnt come apart..especially with lazy mechanics putting an impact on every lug they come across.

UPDATE.

After 1 year of driving (or about 2,500 miles) I'm happy to report no problems with these lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    UPDATE.

After 1 year of driving (or about 2,500 miles) I'm happy to report no problems with these lugs.
    Make that 2 years, and approx 5k miles...no problems, no issues of them backing out, etc.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I got these lugnuts from Costco, part number 113124.
    Only 62 cents each.
    They are solid and the correct taper, but a bit taller than stock.
    Mine were a beat up and the cap of one broke off when removing a wheel last week, so I replaced the whole set.
    They stick out a little on the front wheels, but look fine on the back. My OCD will be aggravated by the front wheels, but these are just better bc they are solid, so I won't have to deal with a broken one ever again. I hate when that happens.

5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    6125

I don't really understand the desire for solid lug nuts... DMCH offers exact reproductions of the originals that look and fit like they are supposed to without sticking out too far like that. And they're cheap. I really don't mean to knock anybody but I just don't get it. Solid lug nuts with chrome can have the chrome plating flake off if you use an impact instead of hand tools. I'm not sure how that's any different than a cap breaking off.

How often are you guys removing your wheels that you are worried about the caps breaking off the original style lug nuts anyway? If torqued correctly it shouldn't be a problem. I replaced my lug nuts a few years ago with the repro capped variety and have had the wheels on and off several times since then with no problems. To each his own, but this just seems like this solid vs. capped issue wouldn't even exist if Hervey hadn't created that side by side photo trying to knock his competition and convince people to buy his 'better' parts.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast