FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: idle speed motor auxiliary air pipe

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    I struggled with it enough. I could never get the ring to stay in place. If i did it would easily get knocked out when trying to connect hoses.
    I ended up putting a hose clamp on the pipe in front of the brass ring to keep it from sliding back. then I put on a new o ring and a small amount of clear silicone.
    I was able to push it in snug and let it dry. I know its not right but it worked. May save someone hours in the future...

Thanks all,

Dave
    A true pipe of agony moment.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

I struggled with it enough. I could never get the ring to stay in place. If i did it would easily get knocked out when trying to connect hoses.
    I ended up putting a hose clamp on the pipe in front of the brass ring to keep it from sliding back. then I put on a new o ring and a small amount of clear silicone.
    I was able to push it in snug and let it dry. I know its not right but it worked. May save someone hours in the future...

Thanks all,

Dave
    It's a pretty odd design. Honestly if what you did is sound, then I'm not going to argue. Others have done much worse.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks all,

Dave
    That sounds like a simple, neat, effective way to get that menace in there securely. Nice work MacGyver!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    That sounds like a simple, neat, effective way to get that menace in there securely. Nice work MacGyver!
    lol thanks

another thought i had for future was to take a piece of rubber 2-4mm thick trace out a hole slightly smaller than the pipe so you can slide it through and have a decent seal.. then silicone it to the intake with the o ring underneath. the rubber seal would act as the brass ring and hold the o ring in place. Then with a little lube you could slide pipe in and out easily and i think it would keep a decent seal. (maybe?) Not sure if there is enough contact area to silicone the rubber on though.. next time i take it out i will try it...

cleaned valley.. new plugs wires fuel lines all gaskets and the pipe hack and its running solid now...
    Thanks again for all the help..

Dave

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

....cleaned valley.. new plugs wires fuel lines all gaskets and the pipe hack and its running solid now...
    Thanks again for all the help..

Dave
    Thx for this update.
    Nicely done. Great way to start the weekend.

A VOD job is rewarding when it comes out right, as it usually does.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2