FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering Column Rattle

My VIN:    Early

Steering Column Rattle

So my car has a rattle in the column. It sound like it's coming from under the canopy. I know there are 2 shafts where one slides inside of the other.

Is it maybe coming from that?
    Does that signify a worn column, or is it normal?
    And the biggest question. Should I use this as an excuse to install power steering???

Here's is a video I recorded. I was on the interstate, which has a pretty rough finish (enough to feel in steering).

And before anybody recommends it, I have a new Borgeson shaft with vibration damper and a new plastic column bushing that has been JB welded in place.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    1561

There's a plastic bushing between the column crumple cage and the shaft, that could be cracked. And as you mentioned there's are 2 halves to the column that slide in and out. On mine there's excess play and I've heard some people have drilled and tapped for a set screw to lock this down. I plan to do that some day.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    There's a plastic bushing between the column crumple cage and the shaft, that could be cracked. And as you mentioned there's are 2 halves to the column that slide in and out. On mine there's excess play and I've heard some people have drilled and tapped for a set screw to lock this down. I plan to do that some day.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I'm wondering why you put JB weld on the column bushing? Was the hole out of round? If this was the case maybe it wasn't able to handle the job.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    So I can replicate the rattle when stopped, and that was the first thing I did, I used my finger to put pressure on the crumple cage bushing and the shaft inside. Unfortunately that was not the rattle. It?s coming from the canopy area closer to the steering wheel. Maybe column lock?

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

I'm wondering why you put JB weld on the column bushing? Was the hole out of round? If this was the case maybe it wasn't able to handle the job.

Dave B.
    Hole was waaay out of round, but it isn't my rattle issue.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Either the steering bushing in the firewall has disintegrated OR the collapsible outer cage of the steering column is broken. Easy to determine by visual inspection. The column can be welded and the bushing replaced. If the hole in the firewall is ovaled out of shape you put a hole in a piece of sheet metal and fasten it to the firewall and then install the bushing. Also check the 2 universal joints and make sure all of the hardware is still there and tight. Make sure the A/C hose is not getting rubbed on and is secured away form the steering shaft.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Either the steering bushing in the firewall has disintegrated OR the collapsible outer cage of the steering column is broken. Easy to determine by visual inspection. The column can be welded and the bushing replaced. If the hole in the firewall is ovaled out of shape you put a hole in a piece of sheet metal and fasten it to the firewall and then install the bushing. Also check the 2 universal joints and make sure all of the hardware is still there and tight. Make sure the A/C hose is not getting rubbed on and is secured away form the steering shaft.
    I?m taking you didn?t read my posts and instead just posted the canned response.

Noise is from under column canopy. Not anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I?m taking you didn?t read my posts and instead just posted the canned response.

Noise is from under column canopy. Not anywhere else.
    Noises are sneaky meaning they can seem to come from one place but are really coming from another. I am offering the most common sources for noises in the steering. It is possible you have a problem none of us have ever seen before. In any case you look for the most common sources first. If those aren't it then you will have to disassemble the steering column and figure out what's going on inside. It is possible someone took it apart in the past and reassembled it incorrectly or maybe it was somehow stuck and it was forced and something is broken or there is missing hardware. I did read all of the previous posts.
    David Teitelbaum

Found two sources of noise.

Primary source is my borgeson upper joint was wobbling on the splined steering shaft. I had to really crank that Allen down to fix that.

My other source of play with noise is the rack. My pinion wobbles, so I assume it's the bearings. I'm weighing pros and cons of going with a PJ Grady rebuild kit, or just setting my original on the shelf and installing a DMC EU rack.

Crazy how that was echoing up into the turn signal area.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Found two sources of noise.

Primary source is my borgeson upper joint was wobbling on the splined steering shaft. I had to really crank that Allen down to fix that.

My other source of play with noise is the rack. My pinion wobbles, so I assume it's the bearings. I'm weighing pros and cons of going with a PJ Grady rebuild kit, or just setting my original on the shelf and installing a DMC EU rack.

Crazy how that was echoing up into the turn signal area.

Not crazy at all. A slightly out of round or unbalanced tire can do this as well.
    A little off topic but if you ever had the water line break at the street for your house you can hear the water from inside the house.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 02-16-2023 at 12:43 AM.

[QUOTE=David T;275067]Noises are sneaky meaning they can seem to come from one place but are really coming from another.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast