FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Car Not Starting

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Car Not Starting

I started my car last Saturday and backed it out of the garage. It was running rough which it will do when cold if I have not started it in a couple of weeks. After about a minute it died and wouldn't start again. I tried again tonight and although it turns the engine won't start. Battery is fully charged. Has about 1/4 tan of gas. Now trying to figure out why it won't start. Could it be that the gas has gone bad? I haven't had the time to check connections, etc. Should I try spraying starting fluid in the intake? Check IAC? Suggestions of what to check.
    Shannon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

First step is to figure out if you have spark and fuel. One way is to spray a LITTLE bit of Ether (starting fluid) into the mixture unit. If it tries to run at all you have a fuel problem. If it still has nothing it is a spark problem. If it is a spark problem a common problem is a bad connection on the ballast resistor. If it is a fuel problem a common problem is the fuel pump is either bad or not running. Lots of reasons for that.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Original fuel pump setup or a vendor modern replacement? I have the DPI pump setup and 1/4 tank is ~3 gallons remaining in the tank. I have experienced fuel starvation 1 time and since then I fill up at 1/4 not taking any chances.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Turned out to be a corroded o-ring on this pressure regulator(?) going into the fuel distributor. The ethanol in gas can eat the rubber over time. As a result, the engine wasn't holding pressure. There are two o-rings. One had gone bad.

O-Ring Picture #1.jpg
    Shannon

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Original fuel pump setup or a vendor modern replacement? I have the DPI pump setup and 1/4 tank is ~3 gallons remaining in the tank. I have experienced fuel starvation 1 time and since then I fill up at 1/4 not taking any chances.
    I have the DPI pump too. Have you gone through the calibration process? You can set your own levels with the logic box. Also there was an update where Josh changed the wiring harness to re-route the sender ground to the frame rather than through the inertia switch. This greatly improved the sender's accuracy.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I have the DPI pump too. Have you gone through the calibration process? You can set your own levels with the logic box. Also there was an update where Josh changed the wiring harness to re-route the sender ground to the frame rather than through the inertia switch. This greatly improved the sender's accuracy.
    Didn't know that about individual levels. I have the gen 3 kit purchased 8/22 but my tech installed it while other work was being performed. I can always look in there and check the ground. Maybe Josh will chime in.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry