FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Steering column U joint orientation

Steering column U joint orientation

Hi all-I replaced the steering rack on the car I'm restoring, and I got the joint seated between the column output shaft and the rack input shaft. I don't have the securing bolts set yet. I'm trying to figure out how far the column output shaft should rest inside the u-joint. I can't tell if there's a detent in the output shaft that is hidden from the u joint, or if it only lives "firewall side" of the bolt recess in the u-joint. i see a flat side of the output shaft, but it was a struggle to get all 3 parts to seat at all, so i'm hoping i can solve the geometry without unseating them. thanks for any advice!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is a groove on the shafts that the bolt in the u-joint fits into so the shaft can't slip out of the joint. The shaft can slide in-and-out of the column. Once you get everything assembled it should all be in the right place. When done make sure the A/C hose doesn't get ripped up by the bolt in the u-joint. Lube the steering column bushing with some silicone.
    David Teitelbaum

thanks! I was expecting a bolt sized recess, not a the big long "channel". I got it sorted today without having to unseat the steering rack, luckily.