FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Delphi FG0089 Questions

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    That?s what I got. What?s weird is there seems to be a gap between the top of the pump housing and the inner metal lip on the V clamp. It may be because the clamp continues to slowly move up the outer wall of the tank opening (maybe due to it being angled slightly, I don?t know). I think it would also help if I removed the spring mechanism from the pump so that it isn?t constantly pushing upward (out of the hole).
    The closing panel can help keep the pump firmly planted.
    Once you get everything in place and tight. Put the closing panel on. The panel won't sit correctly. So you start the first few threads on each screw all the way around then you can start tightening them all up. Then there will be pressure on the pump and it won't move. You shouldn't remove the springs because that keeps the pump at the bottom of the tank.
    People have cut holes or heated up the closing to form a hump so it will go on. Then some have put something in there for some down force for keeping the pump firmly planted.
    These after market pumps no matter who buy them from are an exact science. There seems to be something different for all the applications. We seem to do the best we can with these things.

Dave B.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    The closing panel can help keep the pump firmly planted.
    Once you get everything in place and tight. Put the closing panel on. The panel won't sit correctly. So you start the first few threads on each screw all the way around then you can start tightening them all up. Then there will be pressure on the pump and it won't move. You shouldn't remove the springs because that keeps the pump at the bottom of the tank.
    People have cut holes or heated up the closing to form a hump so it will go on. Then some have put something in there for some down force for keeping the pump firmly planted.
    These after market pumps no matter who buy them from are an exact science. There seems to be something different for all the applications. We seem to do the best we can with these things.

Dave B.

Would be great if someone came up with a better fuel pump cover. Maybe even a flexible one, or at least just have a hump to give the pump some room so it's easier to attach the cover.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    That?s what I got. What?s weird is there seems to be a gap between the top of the pump housing and the inner metal lip on the V clamp. It may be because the clamp continues to slowly move up the outer wall of the tank opening (maybe due to it being angled slightly, I don?t know). I think it would also help if I removed the spring mechanism from the pump so that it isn?t constantly pushing upward (out of the hole).
    There really is no "nub" on the fuel tank to do what the V-clamp is made to do (pull it tight). But the V-clamps are very heavy metal and can squeeze it tight to hold it where it sits.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

Fuel Pump Install Kit

I've put together an Install kit with all the parts you need to install the GM pump. If you only need the quick disconnects, I can sell those separately.

Pump Kit.jpg

398430E4-9963-4A07-93F6-8AE0D16D9523.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 03-01-2023 at 08:44 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    2245

You're better off making your own fuel lines, use nylon. You just have to learn how to attach the quick connects to the fitting and make sure to protect the line from abrasion. Nylon will far outlast rubber hoses.

Fuel Delphi FG0089 Questions

Hi
    Hope someone can answer a question about this fuel pump and sender.
    Does the Low Fuel Light work with either bulb or Led?

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by rgehrig View Post
    Hi
    Hope someone can answer a question about this fuel pump and sender.
    Does the Low Fuel Light work with either bulb or Led?
    Yes the low fuel light can be switched to a led. Amber for best effect.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There really is no "nub" on the fuel tank to do what the V-clamp is made to do (pull it tight). But the V-clamps are very heavy metal and can squeeze it tight to hold it where it sits.
    I've been toying with the idea of 3D printing a ring to bond to the outer portion of the fuel pump opening to give the V clamp a "nub" to hold onto.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of 3D printing a ring to bond to the outer portion of the fuel pump opening to give the V clamp a "nub" to hold onto.
    I thought about it also but mine did seal tight without doing that. I tested the pump seal and OEM sender hole seal by filling the tank to the top of the fill pipe.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2