FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delphi FG0089 Questions

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Delphi FG0089 Questions

Hey folks - doing front to back fuel refresh. Have new injectors and DPI lines in. Just drained the tank and getting ready to replace the OG unit for the Delphi FG0089. A few questions I need your expertise with:

1) The unit didn?t come with any ?quick connect? hose fittings. Do I need these and if so what part number did you use? FYI the top of this pump is the white plastic not metal, so not sure I want to crank down new 5/16 hoses direct to the pump top.

2) It came with a rubber ring/seal, but of course I?d need the V clamp correct? Which part do you recommend? EDIT: I just test fitted the rubber ring and it fits perfectly on the inside of the tank opening, maintaining a small lip at the top. It doesn’t come out and around the tank opening, if that makes sense.

3) Since this includes the sending unit, anyone know the wiring matchups I?d need to do to connect the pump harness to the car?s? I did see this video, but they using the separate/OEM sender unit, so not soldering all the wires in the pump harness. BTW the pump harness I have has black, purple, grey and orange/black wires.

4) I was thinking of making my own cap for the now vacant sender hole at the top of the tank. Especially since I have the original screw on ring. Any risk with this or should I just buy a solid one?

Know that?s a pile of stuff but figure someone else has done this already.
    Last edited by mwesten; 02-21-2023 at 11:10 PM.

My VIN:    Early

Quick connects are 3/8" for supply and 5/16" for return. For your sender, I would just run a factory style.

I would get rid of that POS Lucas plug and solder the pigtail directly to the harness.

No idea on V band. Someone will probably chime in here with that.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Quick connects are 3/8" for supply and 5/16" for return. For your sender, I would just run a factory style.

I would get rid of that POS Lucas plug and solder the pigtail directly to the harness.

No idea on V band. Someone will probably chime in here with that.
    Ok thanks that helps? went ahead and ordered the connects so that knocks out #1.

My VIN:    03572

I bought my V-clamp from DMCH. Don't think it was a standard part number. I also built my own sender cap using the OEM threaded cap. My tank had a large notch so it would not seal the DMCH cap.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Hey folks - doing front to back fuel refresh. Have new injectors and DPI lines in. Just drained the tank and getting ready to replace the OG unit for the Delphi FG0089. A few questions I need your expertise with:

1) The unit didn?t come with any ?quick connect? hose fittings. Do I need these and if so what part number did you use? FYI the top of this pump is the white plastic not metal, so not sure I want to crank down new 5/16 hoses direct to the pump top.

2) It came with a rubber ring/seal, but of course I?d need the V clamp correct? Which part do you recommend? EDIT: I just test fitted the rubber ring and it fits perfectly on the inside of the tank opening, maintaining a small lip at the top. It doesn?t come out and around the tank opening, if that makes sense.

3) Since this includes the sending unit, anyone know the wiring matchups I?d need to do to connect the pump harness to the car?s? I did see this video, but they using the separate/OEM sender unit, so not soldering all the wires in the pump harness. BTW the pump harness I have has black, purple, grey and orange/black wires.

4) I was thinking of making my own cap for the now vacant sender hole at the top of the tank. Especially since I have the original screw on ring. Any risk with this or should I just buy a solid one?

Know that?s a pile of stuff but figure someone else has done this already.

I'm trying to follow along. You bought "DPI lines" which I guess is the fuel line set (smart man) but you didn't get the DPI pump kit? And now you're trying to figure out how to make it all work? You'd be done by now if you had just bought the fuel pump from DPI.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I'm trying to follow along. You bought "DPI lines" which I guess is the fuel line set (smart man) but you didn't get the DPI pump kit? And now you're trying to figure out how to make it all work? You'd be done by now if you had just bought the fuel pump from DPI.
    Yeah I guess I could have. I?m on a budget and didn?t want to drop that kind of coin on that solve. The pump?s the same as in the kit, and I have most of the other small parts already. Either I?ll get the unit from McKeen or just get a new stock sender when I get to it.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Yeah I guess I could have. I?m on a budget and didn?t want to drop that kind of coin on that solve. The pump?s the same as in the kit, and I have most of the other small parts already. Either I?ll get the unit from McKeen or just get a new stock sender when I get to it.
    You didn't mention it but you know you also need a check valve on the new feed line, too, right? DPI kit includes it.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    2245

Here's the V clamp you want, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=5816&jsn=1
    Don't support DMCH, they are the worst.

This is the check valve I use
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went through a couple garbage check valves before finding this good one.
    Last edited by r00b; 02-26-2023 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    You didn't mention it but you know you also need a check valve on the new feed line, too, right? DPI kit includes it.
    Yep grabbed me one of those too!

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    Here's the V clamp you want, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=5816&jsn=1
    Don't support DMCH, they are the worst.

This is the check valve I use
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went through a couple garbage check valves before finding this good one.
    That?s what I got. What?s weird is there seems to be a gap between the top of the pump housing and the inner metal lip on the V clamp. It may be because the clamp continues to slowly move up the outer wall of the tank opening (maybe due to it being angled slightly, I don?t know). I think it would also help if I removed the spring mechanism from the pump so that it isn?t constantly pushing upward (out of the hole).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast