FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hood bump stops

My VIN:    03572

Hood bump stops

I bought new bump stops from ED but looks like on my car his bolts are to short. My hood does sit pretty high but I can't get the bolts to grab enough thread in the body to hold. Well it also turns out my "crash blocks" don't line up and it also was set to close to the stop and it broke his plastic dome off when I shut the hood.

Anyway, I'm going to make my own bump stops using a commercial threaded rubber bumper (8-32 thread). I will turn some 8 mm 1.25 bolts down on the head and drill and tap for 8-32 screw. My OEM stop is 1.9" long.

Anyway, looks like I need to move those "crash blocks" to line up with the bump bolt. The photo shows my passenger side (look at the rubber ring marking). Drivers side is a little less offset.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I have 1 set of stainless bump stops remaining if you're interested. They work perfectly.
    IMG_4266.jpgIMG_4267.jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I have 1 set of stainless bump stops remaining if you're interested. They work perfectly.
    IMG_4266.jpgIMG_4267.jpg
    They look to short and I think I want the rubber on top.
    Dave M vin 03572

Length is ok at least on my car. I was thinking about rubber boots/caps but I like the way they look without.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    11596

Chris Miles sells some hood bump stops as well as rear engine cover bump stops. I have all four and they look/work great.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The way I adjust the bump stops starts with the latch. Remove or screw the bump stops all the way in and adjust the latch so the edges of the hood (where the bump stops are) is slightly lower then the fenders. You will have to enlarge the holes in the latch to do that. Now screw the stops up to get the corners even with the fenders. Now the corners won't shake as you drive. When you are done use some black RTV on the bump stop's threads so they don't leak. Line up the brackets so they will capture the bump stops if they ever have to.
    David Teitelbaum

I got my 50 mm stainless bolts and rubber bumpers yesterday. I drilled the hole for the 8-32 bumper screw but tapping that hole in 304 stainless is not easy. I ordered some new taps. My old ones won't do it. I turned the bolt head down to 0.125 thickness but still think the bumper may be a little high. Will see if that rubber will cut with my lathe but it may need to be sanded to remove some of the rubber.

Was looking at the engine cover bumpers. Those look like 5 mm screws so I will look into what I can machine to use the same bumpers as I'm using in the front.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 03-16-2023 at 06:23 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Was looking at the engine cover bumpers. Those look like 5 mm screws so I will look into what I can machine to use the same bumpers as I'm using in the front.
    I have these and they are perfect and fit flush when installed.

https://deloreanindustries.com/19-buffer/
    ~LXA~

Well the new 8-32 taps don't work either. I'm going to try a forming tap next. What the forming tap does is press the metal around the hole (it does not cut). You use a larger hole for that type of tap. If all this fails I will have to use regular steel.
    Dave M vin 03572

I just thought of something better. If I can find liquid rubber, I can just make bumpers without any machining. Has anybody done any liquid rubber work? Maybe, FlexSeal.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast