FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I now own another gull wing door car

Club(s):   (PNDC)

In 1993 I had to buy one just for the photo op. It remains the worst car I ever owned. It died in a bank drive-up and had to be pushed out. I paid $4,000 for it and sold it for less than $1.00 profit 6 months later. I had promised my 16 year old daughter I would find her a car - when she saw the Bricklin come up the driveway she said "Oh, my God, NO!" She got a very nice $800 1982 Camaro T-top a few weeks later.

Scan_0009.jpg
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    In 1993 I had to buy one just for the photo op. It remains the worst car I ever owned. It died in a bank drive-up and had to be pushed out. I paid $4,000 for it and sold it for less than $1.00 profit 6 months later. I had promised my 16 year old daughter I would find her a car - when she saw the Bricklin come up the driveway she said "Oh, my God, NO!" She got a very nice $800 1982 Camaro T-top a few weeks later.

Scan_0009.jpg
    People complain about the fit and the finish of Deloreans, especially the early ones. Compared to the Bricklins they look PERFECT! The fit and finish of the Bricklins is awful. The first year with the hydraulic doors was terrible. They leaked oil all over. The 2nd year with the pneumatics was very problematic and unreliable. You must also take into account they are a decade older than Deloreans so if they were neglected they will be in worse shape. As a car the only significant feature was the doors. As a car they were less than mediocre when driven. In spite of all of their shortcomings they are collectable and quite a few owners do have a Delorean AND a Brickin. Not many have a Mercedes gull wing, a good one is well over $250,000.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    People complain about the fit and the finish of Deloreans, especially the early ones. Compared to the Bricklins they look PERFECT! The fit and finish of the Bricklins is awful. The first year with the hydraulic doors was terrible. They leaked oil all over. The 2nd year with the pneumatics was very problematic and unreliable. You must also take into account they are a decade older than Deloreans so if they were neglected they will be in worse shape. As a car the only significant feature was the doors. As a car they were less than mediocre when driven. In spite of all of their shortcomings they are collectable and quite a few owners do have a Delorean AND a Brickin. Not many have a Mercedes gull wing, a good one is well over $250,000.
    Which Mercedes gullwing do you mean? $250k for a 300SL would be the steal of the century, high retail for an SLS AMG.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

I now own another gull wing door car

This has 34K miles. It has upgraded air for doors.
    Big H Bricklin in St Louis has parts and upgrades.
    Unfortunately they are booked up till next year.
    I have found a custom car and restoration shop here in AZ that is willing to do the work to install some upgrades.
    I hope to have it in hand next week.
    I will be taking it to the shop for them to go over it and work out what I want done to it.
    Hopefully at the end of the work I'll have another great car to drive.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    - when she saw the Bricklin come up the driveway she said "Oh, my God, NO!"
    That's hilarious!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2