FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Filming Garage Stuff for Youtube

Filming Garage Stuff for Youtube

Heya Guys,

Does anyone have any experience filming in their garage? I am going to clean up my little shop and make it better for filming. People are giving me feedback that I should be always facing the camera and not keep leaving the frame to get tools, etc. I am looking for layout ideas that would include a rolling toolbox, my lighting system (just a tall lamp), my rolling workbench, my outboard stand until I finish ?The Outboard Motor Experiment? and then I will restoring either another Delo or a Vette, I am searching for a project if you want to sell one.

Perhaps pictures of effective layouts or links to videos.

Thanks dudes

P.S.

If you want to check out my channel and how not to film, here ya go;

https://www.youtube.com/@partscannongarage

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dspan View Post
    Heya Guys,

Does anyone have any experience filming in their garage? I am going to clean up my little shop and make it better for filming. People are giving me feedback that I should be always facing the camera and not keep leaving the frame to get tools, etc. I am looking for layout ideas that would include a rolling toolbox, my lighting system (just a tall lamp), my rolling workbench, my outboard stand until I finish ?The Outboard Motor Experiment? and then I will restoring either another Delo or a Vette, I am searching for a project if you want to sell one.

Perhaps pictures of effective layouts or links to videos.

Thanks dudes

P.S.

If you want to check out my channel and how not to film, here ya go;

https://www.youtube.com/@partscannongarage
    Get a wireless lapel pin mic so it doesn't sound like you are 7' away from the camera.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    16109

I've got probably hundreds of videos working on my garage online and over the years I've found that lighting is key. I've got a total of 7 overhead LED tube lamps across the ceiling of my garage to make sure there is ample lighting across the entire car, so wherever i am viewers can see it and shadows are reduced. They are placed strategically over where I film the most (engine bay has two fixtures, and each door has one. I also use a camera light whenever working under the car or in it, plus an extra shop light or two. Too much lighting can also work against you as well so do some trial and error to see what works best for your camera. I this photo you can see 6 of the 7 fixtures.

If you find that some of your videos are too dark you can always use a software editor to brighten them up -- same for audio, you can edit the volume using software. The problem is that editing takes time which a lot of us don't have...

IMG_5484.jpg