FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the fuel filter

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    There is another option. You can put just a slight flare on the end of the tube. It?s not as nice as a bead because the hose will not slide on as easy, but once you get it on and tighten a clamp, it can?t pull off. The key to this is make sure the tube end is debured good. I?ve done this (on other cars) with good results.
    I was thinking the same. I do have flaring tools. Not fun working up in that area not with a lift.

Another thought is to "glue" one of those compression rings onto the cut pipe. I guess a thick locktite would hold it. Can't solder it unless you can undo the other end of the pipe and blow it clean.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 04-08-2023 at 12:55 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I was thinking the same. I do have flaring tools. Not fun working up in that area not with a lift.

Another thought is to "glue" one of those compression rings onto the cut pipe. I guess a thick locktite would hold it. Can't solder it unless you can undo the other end of the pipe and blow it clean.
    I?ve done a filter recently and due to the difficulty in getting the top banjo off I disconnected the fuel line at the distributor and feed it back down under the car and allow me to get the filter to spin enough to undo hard line. I could then take the filter out with the top banjo and fuel line attached. Anyway just an idea

Well my primary fuel pressure is 75 PSI, control pressure started at 28 PSI and rose to 50 PSI in a few minuets of running. So all looks good. I added fuel injector cleaner into my half tank of fuel. Running at idle it looks like the dwell is back to normal. I was getting 60 deg at idle before, now it's 45 deg at idle. Holding higher RPM it still reads 40 deg.

I can't road test with my fuel pressure gauge connected. So the real test will be later.
    Dave M vin 03572

Well still has the problem. Seems a little less often but still can't drive it anywhere but around the neighborhood. All I can think of is a problem with fuel distributor. I guess I could do a flow test but since it's a random problem a good test will tell me nothing. Time to go EFI soon.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

So i was watching the Youtube video of Tyler Hoover when he bought his DeLorean - this sounds similar to what he was seeing which ended up being an issue with Fuel pickup when driving around. Maybe you have a issue at the pump or tank? Clogged baffle or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by mhanch View Post
    So i was watching the Youtube video of Tyler Hoover when he bought his DeLorean - this sounds similar to what he was seeing which ended up being an issue with Fuel pickup when driving around. Maybe you have a issue at the pump or tank? Clogged baffle or something like that?
    Thanks for the suggestion. But I have the GM pump so no pickup hose or baffle. Just as a last resort, I'm going to replace the PPR-Orings. I did replace the larger one which had disintegrated but the small one looked good. I do note my rest pressure only holds for one hour now. It was holding for 3 hours last time I checked it many years ago.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check the timing, mechanical and vacuum advance. Do a smoke test to find any vacuum leaks. Make sure all of the vacuum hoses and vacuum systems are functioning correctly. Especially the one on the CPR. It does what an accelerator pump does on a carburetor.
    David Teitelbaum

I ran the six bottle flow test on my FD and nothing bad showed up. I watched the spay at all positions of the air flap. All looks good and even final flow from all that testing was very close to even amount from all six injectors. So now I don't think my FD is the problem.

Will have to think about it more. Engine runs great starting, idle and high RPM not in gear but under load road testing it feels like lack of fuel. I have the Tahoe fuel pump setup so it's not a tank pickup problem. Fuel pressure is 75 PSI primary and control pressure is 50 PSI on warmed up engine. What I'm thinking of doing is to wire up a fuel pressure gauge so I can monitor control pressure when driving.

It's really bad on the road so I can not drive it anywhere but around my neighborhood.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Will have to think about it more. Engine runs great starting, idle and high RPM not in gear but under load road testing it feels like lack of fuel.

..It's really bad on the road so I can not drive it anywhere but around my neighborhood.
    Did you explore David’s t’shooting topics from post #17 yet? Results?

One suggestion to add to that list - a simple vac advance counter-test; disable the vac advance by disconnecting and plugging the hose from the vac solenoid to the vac diaphragm. Or just clamp the hose shut for the test. See whether the engine behaves differently or not. “No change” points to a vac advance system issue.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

I put an OEM ignition ECU on and I think that fixed it. If that is the problem it may be the pickup coil or connection. Or I have a flaky connection in the ECU connector. I last checked another ECU when I first had the problem but that was also a GM modified unit.

I will need to due another test drive when the engine has sat overnight.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast