FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Looking for Cigarette Outlet Adapter Insert.

My VIN:    3610

Looking for Cigarette Outlet Adapter Insert.

Looking to make the older Euro spec outlet have a better fit with modern gadgets, is there an insert or shim that can be installed, or anyone have a lead on a new outlet that fits in the original illumination ring?

My VIN:    05457

Back in the day there was a perfect drop in replacement that had the green ring, designed for VW vans. It was sold on gowesty and that is where I bought mine. I'm not sure a model number, but it must still be sold by someone somewhere. Plenty of VW van enthusiasts out there who would still want them I imagine.

https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9...arette-lighter
    David Proehl

My VIN:    2245

I just bought one
    https://gowesty.com/products/illumin...392d2093&_ss=r

I first tried the cheap china crap version on on ebay, it held gadgets just as bad as the original.
    The go westy one is much nicer and holds gadgets firmly.
    Last edited by r00b; 04-24-2023 at 04:41 AM.

Good find!

You can also then pair the gowesty outlet with a lighter that sticks out similar to the stock one. I bought a semi-similar looking lighter and painted over the smoking icon to make it look more like the stock lighter and threw away the outlet that it came with.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175180041222

Stock lighter:
    stock.jpg
    eBay listing (or find something that is a closer match):
    new.jpg
    David Proehl

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Purchased this and is perfect fit for the D.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133858508460
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I am traumatized reading about cigarette lighters. I can still feel this happening all over again every time I read that word. I was terrified clicking on this thread just on the title, and sure as shit, I got to relive my nightmare from the very first comment. Fuck, even at DCS 2014 I remember talking with somebody about this subject and even *he* remembered that thread and had *another* laugh.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I am traumatized reading about cigarette lighters. I can still feel this happening all over again every time I read that word. I was terrified clicking on this thread just on the title, and sure as shit, I got to relive my nightmare from the very first comment. Fuck, even at DCS 2014 I remember talking with somebody about this subject and even *he* remembered that thread and had *another* laugh.
    Ha ha! This is the best comment I've read in ages. Back when I replaced my lighter and socket it felt like I made it my life's work to find the perfect replacement. It meant so much to me to have it all stock looking. Now that it is done, I'm glad with the result but I never think of it anymore. Further, I bet none of us smoke, at least not in the car.

Kind of funny how much time and effort went into an invisible and unappreciated part. So many people simply swap it out with a USB plug but here we are instead.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Ha ha! This is the best comment I've read in ages. Back when I replaced my lighter and socket it felt like I made it my life's work to find the perfect replacement. It meant so much to me to have it all stock looking. Now that it is done, I'm glad with the result but I never think of it anymore. Further, I bet none of us smoke, at least not in the car.

Kind of funny how much time and effort went into an invisible and unappreciated part. So many people simply swap it out with a USB plug but here we are instead.
    True story! I wanted the OE look and the one I bought fits the bill. I keep the lighter portion stowed away and utilize a plug-in flush USB adapter to charge devices. The Alpine radio also has a USB port so there is never any worry not having enough USB cables.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    True story! I wanted the OE look and the one I bought fits the bill. I keep the lighter portion stowed away and utilize a plug-in flush USB adapter to charge devices. The Alpine radio also has a USB port so there is never any worry not having enough USB cables.
    Right! I was reading this with interest thinking hmmm maybe I should do this update, but then I realized I never need my cig lighter for power anyway, and if I did need a cell charge my Alpine has USB input! I do need to replace the flag terminals on the socket though because every time I remove the center console it shorts and blows the fuse!
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Right! I was reading this with interest thinking hmmm maybe I should do this update, but then I realized I never need my cig lighter for power anyway, and if I did need a cell charge my Alpine has USB input! I do need to replace the flag terminals on the socket though because every time I remove the center console it shorts and blows the fuse!
    I blew the fuse when installing the new lighter. Seems inevitable it's going to happen during console removal.
    ~LXA~