FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stage 1 exhaust installation questions

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I hope to be installing my new, used stage 1 exhaust this next week (all I know is its a SS version). I had a few thoughts and questions...

I need to pass CA emissions here, if I need replacement cats down the line, any thoughts on where to get them?

Tom
    The cats I've seen on most of the various exhaust kits look like pre-cats used on a number of vehicles. The last several years of the Ford Ranger we built with the 4.0 engine had pre-cats that looked exactly like those. They were installed one on each of the two pipes coming off the manifolds along with another cat installed after the exhaust blended into one pipe.

Bruce Benson

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by delornut View Post
    The cats I've seen on most of the various exhaust kits look like pre-cats used on a number of vehicles. The last several years of the Ford Ranger we built with the 4.0 engine had pre-cats that looked exactly like those. They were installed one on each of the two pipes coming off the manifolds along with another cat installed after the exhaust blended into one pipe.

Bruce Benson
    I would not use POR-15 on exhaust parts. It was not made for such a high temperature application. Eastwood has several products for such a use.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
    I purchased a used original stage 1 kit. Does anyone have and advice when it comes to installation on this? I don't have any instructions just a bunch of parts, and i hope i have all the parts.
    I was in a similar situation 8 years ago when I ordered my Stage I kit from DMCH. There was no parts list to make sure I had received everything so I put together the list you see in the attached Word docs. Sure enough, turns out there were a few things missing and we eventually got everything resolved.

At the time I also found a very good installation tutorial. I think I found it in a Delorean magazine. I was not able to find the softcopy so I scanned in my hardcopy.

I hope it helps.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    At the time I also found a very good installation tutorial. I think I found it in a Delorean magazine. I was not able to find the softcopy so I scanned in my hardcopy.
    I hope it helps.
    Henrik, thank you very much for scanning that in. It's super helpful! I areally ppreciate it. I knew there was something like that out there . If only I could find some instructions like that for doing EFI

I know I have to look for high temp paint, about 2000 degree protection. Por 15 does sell a high temp version, as does Eastwood, vht and krylon. I'm also checking to see if any come in a 2 part automotive style that I can use with a spray gun.

Anyone every paint these header with lasting results?

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Digging up this thread. Note to anyone looking to install, do NOT torque the studs to 25lbs, it will strip the studs, not sure why that article above is calling for it. But we found that tightening with a small ratchet until snug worked perfectly fine.

Also, on our installation, the muffler is not snug against the bushing on the passenger side, and on the driver's side the tailpipe is touching the cat. Do we need to push the piping farther into the muffler to correct that?
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by tyb323 View Post
    Digging up this thread. Note to anyone looking to install, do NOT torque the studs to 25lbs, it will strip the studs, not sure why that article above is calling for it. But we found that tightening with a small ratchet until snug worked perfectly fine.

Also, on our installation, the muffler is not snug against the bushing on the passenger side, and on the driver's side the tailpipe is touching the cat. Do we need to push the piping farther into the muffler to correct that?
    Typical torque value for 8.8 gr M7 x 1.0 is 11 ft lbs. (zinc plated steel) Many other factors can influence torque values though.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

I bought DPI's SPEC I exhaust set-up this week. I'm super stolked to get this on the car in the spring. Reading through some previous posts, taking the old system out should be 'fun'.

Can the cross-over pipe be removed without taking the pass drive axle off? I'd rather not mess with that if possible.
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SENZZZ View Post
    Can the cross-over pipe be removed without taking the pass drive axle off? I'd rather not mess with that if possible.
    No.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    No.
    Thanks Dave - actually maybe not :-)
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

Quote Originally Posted by SENZZZ View Post
    Thanks Dave - actually maybe not :-)
    Its not a hard removal. I tried to avoid taking them off, but its only a few bolts. Gives you a good chance to really inspect it too. Turns out all 4 boots were torn, so I rebuilt while they were down.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast