FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Do your shocks fade?

Do your shocks fade?

On my last two trips, I noticed that the car seems to ride rougher on the way home. The first trip was about 3 hours long and the most recent was about an hour. I never noticed it before, but it?s not real apparent. I don?t really know what could do it except shocks or maybe tires. My front shocks are the coil overs that DCI sells. (I installed them) My rear ones are probably 40 years old.I suppose they are due to replace. Anybody else felt this? I felt the shocks and they were not hot.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    On my last two trips, I noticed that the car seems to ride rougher on the way home. The first trip was about 3 hours long and the most recent was about an hour. I never noticed it before, but it?s not real apparent. I don?t really know what could do it except shocks or maybe tires. My front shocks are the coil overs that DCI sells. (I installed them) My rear ones are probably 40 years old.I suppose they are due to replace. Anybody else felt this? I felt the shocks and they were not hot.

I have DPI all the way around, no issues with this at all. If you have the original rear shocks, I'm sure they're toast. When I took mine out I was able to compress them with my hands and one of them blew oil out once I had it on the ground. Get the rear coilovers too. I think I have my fronts on "6" and rears on "5". Rides firm, sporty, but not jarring. Just the way I like it.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I have DPI all the way around, no issues with this at all. If you have the original rear shocks, I'm sure they're toast. When I took mine out I was able to compress them with my hands and one of them blew oil out once I had it on the ground. Get the rear coilovers too. I think I have my fronts on "6" and rears on "5". Rides firm, sporty, but not jarring. Just the way I like it.
    Yea, I guess they have to be shot. I?m really happy with the front coil overs. I don?t know what I have them set at, but the car fells real good when I leave. When I came beck on the 3 hour trip, I thought I might have a bad motor mount or tranny mount. It felt like every little bump was transmitting through the car. I looked it over and didn?t find anything. The next time I drove it, it was fine. On Sunday, I drove an hour out, all was fine. But on the trip back, it was getting rough again. I?m definitely getting the rear coil overs. Was it much of a job changing them?

My VIN:    11596

Well, if you did the fronts yourself, they are quite a bit more difficult than the rears. So I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that the rears can probably be changed in about 2 hours.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City