FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: smoke test injectors

My VIN:    nov 81

smoke test injectors

smoke machine arrived.. every injector is leaking. should i just replace o rings? bite bullet and replace all injectors?
    Im hoping this is causing my "rythmic" idle when hot issue.
    Andy you saw the video of idle. Think thats enough to do it?

Appreciate any advice..

Thanks
    Dave

My VIN:    11596

When you say every injector is leaking, you're talking about the black injector seals? They are really cheap, you should definitely replace all of them. They're probably hard as a rock. If you have smoke leaking out of the injector seals, then you potentially also have air getting sucked in to the cylinders which would certainly throw off your idle.

Glad to hear you got a smoke machine, need to make sure there are zero leaks coming out of that thing. I got everything fixed on mine except I was not able to stop some smoke from coming out of the oil dipstick tube, but that's okay because that's not under manifold vacuum anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    When you say every injector is leaking, you're talking about the black injector seals? They are really cheap, you should definitely replace all of them. They're probably hard as a rock. If you have smoke leaking out of the injector seals, then you potentially also have air getting sucked in to the cylinders which would certainly throw off your idle.

Glad to hear you got a smoke machine, need to make sure there are zero leaks coming out of that thing. I got everything fixed on mine except I was not able to stop some smoke from coming out of the oil dipstick tube, but that's okay because that's not under manifold vacuum anyway.

i assume so.. smoke trickling out from where seat of injector makes contact. I have not removed one yet.... I could not see any other leaks from anywhere else.

Thanks I will order seals !
    Dave

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

During a VOD job on my engine earlier this year I installed DPI injector seals. Had a leaking ISM and didnt want to mess around wanted everything in the vacuum department solid.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    During a VOD job on my engine earlier this year I installed DPI injector seals. Had a leaking ISM and didnt want to mess around wanted everything in the vacuum department solid.
    I also did the DPI seals, they are great! Nice upgrade.

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

so i received the new seals and installed 3 so far. I decided to check my work and hooked up the smoke tester again.
    They still leak about the same. One of the 3 does not leak as much. I replaced the clips that hold the injectors as well. They have some play in them but not as much. what else should i do ?

Thanks,
    Dave.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    so i received the new seals and installed 3 so far. I decided to check my work and hooked up the smoke tester again.
    They still leak about the same. One of the 3 does not leak as much. I replaced the clips that hold the injectors as well. They have some play in them but not as much. what else should i do ?

Thanks,
    Dave.
    I don't have any experience with these seals but I would think with a couple good heat cycles could help with getting a better tighter seal.

Otherwise the only better solution is DPIs injector clamps.

Dave B.

i teflon taped them. found old thread where dave t said to try. It worked.... 90% better. The real bitch about all of this is that im trying to get rid of the rythmic idle and it did nothing to help. It starts and idles perfectly for about 5 minutes. then it starts the dance and does not stop!

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    i teflon taped them. found old thread where dave t said to try. It worked.... 90% better. The real bitch about all of this is that im trying to get rid of the rythmic idle and it did nothing to help. It starts and idles perfectly for about 5 minutes. then it starts the dance and does not stop!
    Did you check your CO with a dwell meter afterwards? Every vacuum leak you fix will them change your idle mixture.

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast