FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Passenger mirror

My VIN:    10620

Passenger mirror

Dear folks, first post. Joined the D family in April. Passenger mirror quit working recently. Was fine and then it was done. Moves around freely when you push on the edges. No noise from the housing when using the directional switch.

Driver's side is fine. Switch to passenger and nothing.

What's the main culprit to check out first before anything else? I do see a previous thread about removing the jumper for radio interference. And wondering if the driver/passenger switch just gave out.

Thanks, all!

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dmcindiana View Post
    Dear folks, first post. Joined the D family in April. Passenger mirror quit working recently. Was fine and then it was done. Moves around freely when you push on the edges. No noise from the housing when using the directional switch.

Driver's side is fine. Switch to passenger and nothing.

What's the main culprit to check out first before anything else? I do see a previous thread about removing the jumper for radio interference. And wondering if the driver/passenger switch just gave out.

Thanks, all!
    You should use a voltmeter to find the problem. Mine had a bad connection in the door connector going to the mirror. You can test that connector by moving the wires around and pushing on them while testing if it starts working. But that requires you pull the upper panel off.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is no "common" failure except that the switches, wiring and connectors are all possible candidates. The mirror should not move "freely" but if you don't hear any noises then the motors are not working. The driver's side should be stiffer and you should hear the motors when you move that one. Since you say the driver's side is working a logical place to start troubleshooting would be the switch that switches the sides. A wire could have come loose or the switch itself may be bad. Using a voltmeter or just a test light should narrow the problem down quickly. A faulty ground can cause the mirror to stop working too, not just a loss of power.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10620

Thank you for those starting points, Dave M. and David T. Will report back!