FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to evaluate a car out of long-term neglect/storage?

My VIN:    7012

How to evaluate a car out of long-term neglect/storage?

I am curious if anyone has suggestions on how to evaluate a car that's been sitting for 10 or 20 years like I often see with some of the DeLoreans that come up for sale.

On the one hand, it seems like a bad idea to try to start these up without first cleaning the fuel system. On the other hand, without starting it up there is probably a lot of risk of things being discovered as not working, not just in the engine but also with potential issues in the transmission/computer (I'm mostly looking at automatics), fans, etc.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions you might have about how to navigate a purchase of a car like this!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Take the gas cap off and take a whiff. See if the motor will turn over, preferably by hand. Look at the fuse area and the jack area for signs of nesting. See if the tires hold air. Check the frame for rot front and rear. See if the wheels will turn. Check the glass and the body panels for damage. Find out what comes with the car. Don't expect to start and drive the car so you can't know if the clutch, motor, transmission, steering and other systems work. Expect that they do not. What you can do is see if the car is complete and/or damaged. Check the vin and mileage with the Title. See if there are keys. Be careful you don't overpay for the car, it will take a LOT of parts and time to get it going and parts are expensive.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I bought a stage 2 car in early 2022 that sat from 2002-2022. Granted, it had a lot of service at DMCH in 2002 but I went through the car as I do with all my classic vehicles. Just make sure to inspect everything front to back and replace all the fluids and wear items. Check the deep cavities in the frame for rust and definitely replace all the rubber fuel lines if they are original. Dave McKeen RPM relay & the DMC trans computer are a must and clean trans fluid is key. Remove all electrical connections for the ballast resistor and at the ignition coil - clean them all. Good idea to replace all the fuses and relay - I did. A few weeks ago my original radiator end tank started seeping so it was just replaced including low-draw fans. Here is what have performed in the last year to repair and update my car:

Fluids: ZDDP oil, transmission fluid w/Grady cooler lines & cooler, coolant.
    New Hankook tires
    DMC transmission module upgrade
    DMC machined finish original wheels
    DMC stainless fuel lines
    DMC stainless coolant bottle brackets
    DMC louvre support brace
    DMC black stainless exterior screw kit
    DMC convex mirrors
    DMC billet lower control arms w/poly bushings
    DMC aluminum radiator
    DeLorean Go lower control arm braces
    DeLorean Go poly sway bar bushings w/stainless mounts
    DeLorean Go poly steering column bushing
    DPI high-flow cooling fans w/stainless shroud
    DPI stainless upper & lower radiator brackets
    DPI stainless rock screen/grille
    DPI stainless trunk strut mounts
    DPI modern fuel pump kit & sending unit
    DPI engine mount ground upgrade
    DPI billet camshaft closing plates
    DPI alternator kit w/billet mount
    DPI stainless front recall brackets
    DPI stainless hood intrusion brackets w/stainless bolts
    Stainless hood bump stops
    Stainless infill panel hardware
    DPNW stainless throttle spool cover
    DPNW trunk release assist
    DPNW EZ engine oil drain
    DMC convex exterior mirrors
    DMC stainless shift plate & shift lever logo
    DMC illuminated window switches
    DMC console switch alignment plate
    Drayron tail light boards w/LED bulbs and flasher relay
    LED lighting: exterior, dash, engine, trunk & interior, HVAC
    Euro-spec clear front indicator lenses w/switchback LED bulbs
    Holley Retro Bright LED headlamps
    DM-ENG solid state RPM/fan/hot start relays
    Alpine AM/FM/BT radio with DMC upgraded speakers & subwoofer
    Autobahn i3 ceramic film on all exterior glass
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    I am curious if anyone has suggestions on how to evaluate a car that's been sitting for 10 or 20 years like I often see with some of the DeLoreans that come up for sale.

On the one hand, it seems like a bad idea to try to start these up without first cleaning the fuel system. On the other hand, without starting it up there is probably a lot of risk of things being discovered as not working, not just in the engine but also with potential issues in the transmission/computer (I'm mostly looking at automatics), fans, etc.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions you might have about how to navigate a purchase of a car like this!
    By posting here, you have to get everything validated by David T.

In any case, sitting or not, this guide might help:

https://peternaulls.medium.com/delor...n-1270b4c3d041

That said, an additional section for cars that have been sitting would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Take the gas cap off and take a whiff.
    I laughed when I read this, because my follow-up question will certainly expose the level of expertise I am bringing to this thread, but... what would I be whiffing for? :-) Just to see if gas has been sitting in there? Am I trying to smell stabilizer? Something else?

See if the motor will turn over, preferably by hand.
    Is that done with a socket on #12? (https://store.delorean.com/parts/eng...-assembly.html)

Don't expect to start and drive the car so you can't know if the clutch, motor, transmission, steering and other systems work. Expect that they do not. Be careful you don't overpay for the car, it will take a LOT of parts and time to get it going and parts are expensive.
    I totally agree with this approach. That said, such an approach is also part of the reason I've been in the market for a DeLorean for ~6 months and don't have one yet. So I figured I'd just see if there's any areas I can push boundaries a bit and get more competitive in bidding, without significantly increasing risk of a disastrous purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I bought a stage 2 car in early 2022 that sat from 2002-2022. Granted, it had a lot of service at DMCH in 2002 but I went through the car as I do with all my classic vehicles. Just make sure to inspect everything front to back and replace all the fluids and wear items. Check the deep cavities in the frame for rust and definitely replace all the rubber fuel lines if they are original. Dave McKeen RPM relay & the DMC trans computer are a must and clean trans fluid is key. Remove all electrical connections for the ballast resistor and at the ignition coil - clean them all. Good idea to replace all the fuses and relay - I did. A few weeks ago my original radiator end tank started seeping so it was just replaced including low-draw fans. Here is what have performed in the last year to repair and update my car:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post

In any case, sitting or not, this guide might help:

https://peternaulls.medium.com/delor...n-1270b4c3d041

That said, an additional section for cars that have been sitting would be great.
    Timeless, a lot of that is on my list already, thanks to Peter's guide that he linked (I read that about once a month to brush up). Cleaning the electrical connections may be something in my wheelhouse so happy to add that as something I can hopefully do. There are a few things I expect to want to do with just about any car I pick up, if not done already, and Dave's relays and some lower-draw components (fans, lights, door actuators) are certainly on that list.

Peter, totally agree that some sort of section for sitting cars would be helpful, for me and I am sure for many others. I would also like to write up a guide on the process of buying a DeLorean, inspired by the one you linked. I've learned a ton over the past few months, but need to end up with something I am happy with at a price I am happy with before I'm willing to believe I can provide knowledge/value in this area.

Thank you all for your input thus far!

My VIN:    11596

Yes, you can turn the engine over by hand by turning the crankshaft pulley nut however you won't be able to get a socket on it with the muffler in place. There is not enough clearance.

If the car were a manual trans, you can put the transmission into gear, lift the rear of the car off the ground so the wheels are hanging down, block one wheel so it can't turn, and then turn the other wheel by hand. That will cause the engine to rotate. Easier if you remove the spark plugs but not necessary.

Personally I'm not sure how I would turn the engine if it were an automatic, all of my experience is with MT.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Biggest problem with ?evaluating? any car now is TIME. While you are messing around trying to decide if you want it, someone else is paying for the car and hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yes, you can turn the engine over by hand by turning the crankshaft pulley nut however you won't be able to get a socket on it with the muffler in place. There is not enough clearance.

If the car were a manual trans, you can put the transmission into gear, lift the rear of the car off the ground so the wheels are hanging down, block one wheel so it can't turn, and then turn the other wheel by hand. That will cause the engine to rotate..
    Thanks, I didn't know that! Yes I am primarily looking into automatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Biggest problem with ?evaluating? any car now is TIME. While you are messing around trying to decide if you want it, someone else is paying for the car and hoping for the best.
    That's not really a problem for me personally - I'm not interested in "hoping for the best" with one of these. I don't spend much time thinking about those listings that are going to sell to whoever moves quickest and/or takes the biggest gamble. I actually kind of enjoy trying to figure out what I really care about in one of these, and learning about how I can identify which cars do or don't match that.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Peter, totally agree that some sort of section for sitting cars would be helpful, for me and I am sure for many others. I would also like to write up a guide on the process of buying a DeLorean, inspired by the one you linked. I've learned a ton over the past few months, but need to end up with something I am happy with at a price I am happy with before I'm willing to believe I can provide knowledge/value in this area.

Thank you all for your input thus far!
    Given your admitted level of knowledge here (I'm sure you'll learn plenty quick though), and parroting the usual DeLorean advice, I'd say skip the non-runner. You'll just
    end up putting a ton of money and time into it. Instead, pay up for the right, sorted car - it'll be worth it. Cars come up for sale every week, so be patient - you'll
    know the right car when you see it.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That's not really a problem for me personally - I'm not interested in "hoping for the best" with one of these. I don't spend much time thinking about those listings that are going to sell to whoever moves quickest and/or takes the biggest gamble. I actually kind of enjoy trying to figure out what I really care about in one of these, and learning about how I can identify which cars do or don't match that.
    Oh, but it is a problem for you. These are old cars that weren?t that great to begin with. And previous owners and time haven?t helped the cause. They are not easy cars to own. Your only hope is to find a car that is unknown where you can take the time you want to. If I were you, I would try my best to find someone close to you that knows the cars and can show you several. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast