FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DeLorean will not shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by drdede View Post
    when the #1 fuse is pulled he car shuts off immediately.
    Andy,
    Having your battery voltage, settle to 12.5 volts after the engine turns off is pretty normal. If it sets for a few hours, it's not uncommon for the battery voltage to drop to 12.2 or so. Usually with the engine running at reasonable revs, you should see 13.5 to 14 volts at the battery indicating that the alternator is charging. As David notes the duceleir alternator is known to not have enough power and to be flaky. Hopefully, changing the alternator will solve the issue.

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 06-21-2023 at 08:03 AM.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Whoa you still have a Ducellier. The only reason I'd keep one of those installed is for a concours museum piece. Knowing that info I'd definitely advise getting a new alternator. Hopefully all of your issues will be resolved in one fell swoop.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Andy,
    Having your battery voltage, settle to 12.5 volts after the engine turns off is pretty normal. If it sets for a few hours, it's not uncommon for the battery voltage to drop to 12.2 or so. Usually with the engine running at reasonable revs, you should see 13.5 to 14 volts at the battery indicating that the alternator is charging. As David notes the duceleir alternator is known to not have enough power and to be flaky. Hopefully, changing the alternator will solve the issue.

Ron
    +1...but I don't see how the alternator could suddenly start feed the ignition circuit. I think you should follow through with the tests Dave suggested in post 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    One of the AUX relays turns power on and off to the ignition. You may have a bad AUX relay. You can pull fuse #1 to test if that AUX relay still drives power with the key off. If so, pull the control wire off that relay to test if the relay is faulty. It is the AUX relay with the white wires. The other AUX relay has white/blue wires.
    it was the aux relay causing the issue.

problem resolved. thankyou and everyone else who contributed

please tell us more details. relay sticking ? or melted ? what was it ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2