FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Axle oil leak

My VIN:    03572

Axle oil leak

Ever since I've owned my D I always had that axle oil leak on my drivers side after putting the car back in the garage. I replaced the seals and there was no change.

Well I recently changed from using MOBIL ONE engine oil to ROTELLA 15-40. It looks like that stopped what I thought was the axle leak. I guess my leak was the rear main engine seal but it would drip to where I thought it was the drivers side axle.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Ever since I've owned my D I always had that axle oil leak on my drivers side after putting the car back in the garage. I replaced the seals and there was no change.

Well I recently changed from using MOBIL ONE engine oil to ROTELLA 15-40. It looks like that stopped what I thought was the axle leak. I guess my leak was the rear main engine seal but it would drip to where I thought it was the drivers side axle.
    I found if you use a UV light and glasses that the axle oil will illuminate bright white. Almost looks like elmer's glue and it's so easy to see exactly where it's leaking from. Not sure if engine oil does the same thing?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City