FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swap Coolant Return Pipe for Hose

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Swap Coolant Return Pipe for Hose

Hey gang - anyone here make the switch to just one piece of hose from the back of the water pump, under the Y pipe and out? vs the coolant return pipe? Figure this would remove at least one point of leaking.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Hey gang - anyone here make the switch to just one piece of hose from the back of the water pump, under the Y pipe and out? vs the coolant return pipe? Figure this would remove at least one point of leaking.
    That pipe was a convenience to assemble the car so they would have a connection they could get to easily without dismantling the motor when it was installed in the car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Yes I did that 15 years ago. I used silicon hose so was able to fit it onto the larger pump fitting with some effort.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes I did that 15 years ago. I used silicon hose so was able to fit it onto the larger pump fitting with some effort.
    I haven?t torn down to the VOD yet (still gathering parts)? what diameter of silicone hose would you reco and what length? I figure I can just heat gun it on the pump end yes?

My VIN:    11596

Last time I was in the valley (Jan 2022) I replaced the original metal pipe with the DPI (https://deloreanindustries.com/onlin...configuration/). I was somewhat worried about silicone hoses needing to be tightened but I got the clamp good and tight, also had the opportunity to check it again when I did a frame off later that year and confirmed there was no leakage in the valley.

Definitely recommend the kit, yeah you can figure something out for way cheaper at NAPA but I like the supplied adapter that fits to the Y-pipe bolt.

PXL_20220122_220210701.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Last time I was in the valley (Jan 2022) I replaced the original metal pipe with the DPI (https://deloreanindustries.com/onlin...configuration/). I was somewhat worried about silicone hoses needing to be tightened but I got the clamp good and tight, also had the opportunity to check it again when I did a frame off later that year and confirmed there was no leakage in the valley.

Definitely recommend the kit, yeah you can figure something out for way cheaper at NAPA but I like the supplied adapter that fits to the Y-pipe bolt.

PXL_20220122_220210701.jpg
    That?s interesting never seen that option. What?s the reason for the splice and not just one-hosing it all the way across?

My VIN:    11596

The adapter is required because the hose size goes from 3/4 to 5/8. Needs to transition somewhere, somehow.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

The adapter is required because the hose size goes from 3/4 to 5/8. Needs to transition somewhere, somehow.
    Perhaps a transition beyond the valley would be prudent?

My VIN:    03572

A pump back with a 5/8" nipple would be the best.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Makes sense. You think that thing would work if it was just moved out of the valley? Seems like it could just ?float? and not have to be mounted to anything. Or if it needed support could be zip tied to something else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast