FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swap Coolant Return Pipe for Hose

My VIN:    11596

Yeah any of the above will work. I think the point of the adapter mounted to the Y-pipe is to keep the hose from rubbing on the engine or transmission. If the hose between the water pump and the adapter is nice and stable, it is unlikely to suddenly start leaking. I think I used to have a plastic adapter on my hoses making the transition prior to installing this kit. That was fine too, but I still had the metal snake pipe.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yeah any of the above will work. I think the point of the adapter mounted to the Y-pipe is to keep the hose from rubbing on the engine or transmission. If the hose between the water pump and the adapter is nice and stable, it is unlikely to suddenly start leaking. I think I used to have a plastic adapter on my hoses making the transition prior to installing this kit. That was fine too, but I still had the metal snake pipe.
    Got it that makes sense thanks.

Does sound like some have used 5/8? from the pump back all the way out and made it work. Is it a bad idea to do that? Getting a 5/8? hose end around the 3/4? pump back? A difference of 1/8? (which is really just 1/16? circumference-wise) seems within tolerances of a good silicone hose, but I haven?t done this. Sounds like Dave has..

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Got it that makes sense thanks.

Does sound like some have used 5/8? from the pump back all the way out and made it work. Is it a bad idea to do that? Getting a 5/8? hose end around the 3/4? pump back? A difference of 1/8? (which is really just 1/16? circumference-wise) seems within tolerances of a good silicone hose, but I haven?t done this. Sounds like Dave has..
    Sorry - every time I type this up on my iPhone it changes things around... I really didn't type all of those questions marks! Here fixed it...

Does sound like some have used 5/8" from the pump back all the way out and made it work. Is it a bad idea to do that? Getting a 5/8" hose end around the 3/4" pump back? A difference of 1/8" (which is really just 1/16" circumference-wise) seems within tolerances of a good silicone hose, but I haven't done this. Sounds like Dave has..

Sorry - every time I type this up on my iPhone it changes things around... I really didn't type all of those questions marks! Here fixed it...

Does sound like some have used 5/8" from the pump back all the way out and made it work. Is it a bad idea to do that? Getting a 5/8" hose end around the 3/4" pump back? A difference of 1/8" (which is really just 1/16" circumference-wise) seems within tolerances of a good silicone hose, but I haven't done this. Sounds like Dave has..
    I don't think I have heard of anyone doing it but maybe it's possible. For me, the consequences of a leak in the valley are too great and wanted to stick with proven solutions rather than experiment. I don't trust anyone but a vendor, myself, or other long time owner to remove the intake to fix that leak, if I were on a road trip and too far from home for a flat bed!
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I used a 5/8 ID hose, and was able to connect it to the water pump. I had to stretch and increase the internal diameter with some oiled up sockets. I then ran it through a 1" cushioned hose clamp in the same spot where the hose connected to the pipe:

I eliminated two hose clamps!

Disclaimer: I only have a few miles on this setup. It has not been time-tested.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Good luck, personally I don't like the way that hose looks bulging out over the water pump back.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Coming back to this one, after having fought a broken bolt in the valley successfully!

Thoughts on worm clamps or t-bolts for the silicone hoses coming out the back of the water pump?

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Coming back to this one, after having fought a broken bolt in the valley successfully!

Thoughts on worm clamps or t-bolts for the silicone hoses coming out the back of the water pump?
    For years I have used constant tension clamps on many personal cars and customer builds. After reading the AMS clamp testing report and speaking with many about the TS clamps - these were a no-brainer. I love them.

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/m...s-1-125-1-500/
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    For years I have used constant tension clamps on many personal cars and customer builds. After reading the AMS clamp testing report and speaking with many about the TS clamps - these were a no-brainer. I love them.

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/m...s-1-125-1-500/
    Thanks for this. Yeah I got some of the below clamps which some say are superior to worm style clamps, but in doing research it seems like they may not apply even pressure around the circumference of the hose. Not sure if this REALLY matters, I just don?t want anything that will let loose over time.

https://a.co/d/bqEdB9l

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Thanks for this. Yeah I got some of the below clamps which some say are superior to worm style clamps, but in doing research it seems like they may not apply even pressure around the circumference of the hose. Not sure if this REALLY matters, I just don?t want anything that will let loose over time.

https://a.co/d/bqEdB9l
    Those are not the greatest. The issue is pressure confined to one point and evenly spread across the entire circumference. Constant tension clamps are especially great in areas that are hard to access for peace of mind.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast