FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I f***ed up big time yesterday..

My VIN:    Early

I f***ed up big time yesterday..

After the manual conversion, I wanted to drive in the neighborhood to get accustomed and test. Forgot I had the header panel off as I'm still waiting for my windshield replacement, got a little too fast, and bam! T-panel folded over itself.

Even a day later I'm still pissed off that I did such a stupid thing!

IMG_7917.jpgIMG_7920.jpg

I'm currently in talks with DMCFL on getting one, but if anyone has a used T panel they are willing to sell, lmk.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    11596

Damn, sorry to hear that. Fortunately it is still an available part if you have no other options besides a new one. Amazing how thin the stainless actually is.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Damn, sorry to hear that. Fortunately it is still an available part if you have no other options besides a new one. Amazing how thin the stainless actually is.
    The worst part is I have an early T panel. I don?t know what the VIN cutoff was, but still sucks.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The right person can fix it like new. See if DMCH or one of the other vendors can get Chris Nickleson anymore. He is a Wizard with S/S.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The right person can fix it like new. See if DMCH or one of the other vendors can get Chris Nickleson anymore. He is a Wizard with S/S.
    DMCFL was quick to say it's not fixable. Maybe they want to sell me a used one?

There's the wide body Delorean owner down here who may be able to repair it. Will have to see.

In the meantime, I'm trying to work out a deal on a used one from DMCFL. The NOS ones are super expensive now ($800).

And now that you mention it, I may call DMCH tomorrow and see what options they have. I can probably bring it with me next time I visit Houston, and maybe they can weld that hole I stupidly made mounting that antenna years ago.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    The worst part is I have an early T panel. I don?t know what the VIN cutoff was, but still sucks.
    OK, I'm ignorant on this. In all my years of ownership and before that being a fan I have never heard of T-panels being early or late VINs. What are the differences?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    OK, I'm ignorant on this. In all my years of ownership and before that being a fan I have never heard of T-panels being early or late VINs. What are the differences?
    Early cars like mine use glue to secure the rear clips.
    IMG_7946.jpg

This makes them invisible from the outside. Later ones use excess stainless of the panel itself as the clips. This mean you can see the cutout from the back.

I never knew the later cars were like that until a couple days ago.

My VIN:    05457

Don't beat yourself up too bad. I'm not sure I'd have remembered the impact of wind resistance on every part of the car. Not the kind of thing you normally have to think about.

That does suck from a cost and inconvenience standpoint though. You'll get it back to good soon I'm sure.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Early cars like mine use glue to secure the rear clips.
    IMG_7946.jpg

This makes them invisible from the outside. Later ones use excess stainless of the panel itself as the clips. This mean you can see the cutout from the back.

I never knew the later cars were like that until a couple days ago.
    Thanks for the photo.
    Always learning something new about these cars. :-)
    I guess every T panel I took off, or help aligned, or torsion bar adjustment was NOT an early panel as I never have seen a glued one before. Always a tab bent over from the main panel.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

I suspect you'd be surprised at what an english wheel can do for the stainless on these cars. I've run a few wrinkled quarter panels and fenders through mine with what little skill I have and was impressed with the results. At $800, I suspect it'd be worth chasing down someone with actual talent on a wheel to ask before buying another one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast