FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird cold and hot start issues

Weird cold and hot start issues

Hey guys,

so i've tried several things for now but maybe you have any idea what could be the problem on my Delorean.

The symptoms:
    My Car seems to randomly have cold or hot start issues. Sometimes it starts cold just fine, and sometimes it even starts hot fine when the car was sitting for some time.
    But most of the time it's hard to start the car cold or hot..sometimes even just 5 minutes after i stopped the engine when hot. When i turn the key you can hear the engine firing for about a second...and then i have to crank it a lot to get it running. Once it is running everything is fine.
    I can accelerate the cranking-process when i spray some starter fluid into the air intake (with the air filter housing off).
    The problem first occurred about 3-4 weeks ago. Before there were no cold or hot start issues and the car always started without any problems

What happened so far:
    When i got the car about a year ago i noticed that it was pretty hard to start when hot. It turned out that my cold start valve primes every time, even with a hot engine. To solve this issue i disconnected the electric connector of the csv. It seems like my thermo time switch is damaged. With the disconnected CSV i had no more hot start problems, and even with a cold engine the car started all the time without any problems.

About half a year ago i replaced my fuel pump with a new one (old style) because my fuel tank was pretty dirty and the filter on the fuel pumps intake hose was clogged up. I cleaned the tank, installed a new fuel pump with a fresh hose and the reinforcement spring

Later that year i also cleaned my bulkhead-connectors with a brass brush and some contact cleaner. I renewed the bulhead ground connection as the original screw was pretty rusty and i even added the "optimized" inertia switch ground (cut the original ground wire and reconnected a new ground wire to the frame).

Of course i replaced all the fuses in the relay compartment and also replaced some of the relays, even the rpm-relay.

About a month ago i fixed my shifting computer (governor).I removed it from the car, resoldered all the solder joints and replaced two of the capacitors. Since my repair, shifting is working great.

What i already tried/tested:

1. I thought maybe i messed something up while i removed and reinstalled the shift computers wires, as they are sitting next to the ballast resistors. I checked the wires on the resistors, jiggled them around but it seems like that made no difference with my cold/hot start issues. I also cleaned the connectors of the ballast resistor and the relay next to it and tightend all the wire-plugs around the ballast resistor. Maybe i forgot to check something else here that i knocked loose?

2. I replaced the new RPM Relay with my original old one to check if the new RPM-Relay has a problem. Problem occurs with both relays

3. i removed the injectors, checked the spray pattern with jumpered RPM-Relay (and pushing the air flap down) and even searched for leaks on them. What i did notice was that one of the fuel lines to one of the injectors sometimes seem to leak a little bit from the inside, but not all the time. I still got the old fuel lines and just ordered the new stainless braided ones to sort that out.

4. I renewed the O-Rings on the primary pressure valve inside the fuel distributor even though the old rings looked good. Of course i reused the little thin spacer inside the valve.

5. I liftet the fuel distributor and checked if the plunger is stuck. It was working fine, but i cleaned it anyway.

6. I removed one Spark Plug wire, put a spark plug on and checked if i got a spark on the spark plug. As the car starts with starter fluid i was sure that a missing spark won't be the problem, but just to make sure i did the test.

7. I checked and readjusted my dwell. It was a bit off. Cold it's now at 45 and with a hot engine it's swinging between 35-45

8. I did a pressure test for the primary pressure (i think) with a non running cold engine. Hooked the Gauge up between the WUR and the main fuel line that goes on top of the distributor. I closed the valve to the WUR so that i just get the pressure coming from the distributor (primary pressure, right?). With a priming pump (jumper for rpm relay) i get about 70PSI:

IMG_0010.jpg

After one hour with no fuel pump running i get about 45PSI:

IMG_0013.jpg

And after 2 hours i still get 35 PSI:

IMG_0016.jpg

What i did notice is that even with a rest primary pressure (?) of 45 or 35 there is almost no more resistance on the air flap?
    I'm not that much into the k-jet fuel pressure stuff, but shouldn't the air flap has some good resistance when the primary pressure still has 35-45PSI?
    As i did some earlier tests with the air flap i know how a "good" air flap resistance feels.

Currently i have no possibility for testing fuel pressure with a hot and running engine as i'm currently waiting for my new fuel lines.
    But can one faulty fuel line to one of the injector cause the loss of pressure on the air flap while the gauge still shows around 40PSI or is that not possible?
    As i get this pressure for about 2 hours..i think my fuel accumulator and the valve inside of the fuel pump are okay so far?

Is it possible that the fuel accumulator just fails when it's hot outside or the fuel is warm?

I don't really know what else could be the problem. Do i need to check control pressure to make sure (open valve to the WUR)?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Last edited by Magnus86; 06-21-2023 at 07:05 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Intermittent problems are always tough to solve because you can't be sure you got it. When was the last time a tune-up was done changing the spark plugs, ignition wires, cap, and rotor? Sounds like you already did everything in the fuel system.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If any one of the injectors/lines leak the rest pressure will fall.
    If starting fluid always helps it start, it's too lean -- Not enough fuel, OR, too much air- check for vacuum leaks.
    Yes, valve shut for measuring primary pressure, open for control pressure.
    The heat in the fuel will get the accumulator hot even in the winter.

I'd think you should install the new lines then sort out the problems with the CSV/CPR/TTS, since they, and everything else, work in concert with each other. Maybe start with the CPR/WUR pressures (with the engine dead cold)...

Always set the dwell last!

Thanks for your replies

@David:
    I haven?t done a Tuneup since i owned the car. All the parts like distributor cap, spark plugs etc have been changed by the previous owner about 3 years ago. The complete engine has been rebuilt in that time as well.

@Ron:
    It?s a bit strange with that leaking fuel line. First i thought that my injector was leaking as i let them sit in empty jars for a day and on one of them there was a bit of fuel in the jar the next day. But after inspection i noticed that the fuel came out of the protective rubber of the fuel line on the injectors side. So i built up pressure (with the fuel pump) and jiggled around with that fuel line but there was no fuel coming out of it and there was no loss of fuel pressure. Is it normal to have about 45PSI on the gauge but a flap that has almost no resistance? I always thought the flap test gives a good first indication about the fuel pressure. So to really check for fuel rest pressure i need to open the valve to the WUR which gives me the control pressure right? But i heard that for control pressure test you need to run the engine?

Regarding vacuum leaks:
    What are the areas to check?
    I repaired my ac selector switch a few weeks ago as i couldn?t change the modes with the switch. Can a loss of vacuum in the switch cause vacuum problems on the engine or is this vacuum independent from the engine?s vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus86 View Post
    It?s a bit strange with that leaking fuel line. First i thought that my injector was leaking as i let them sit in empty jars for a day and on one of them there was a bit of fuel in the jar the next day. But after inspection i noticed that the fuel came out of the protective rubber of the fuel line on the injectors side. So i built up pressure (with the fuel pump) and jiggled around with that fuel line but there was no fuel coming out of it and there was no loss of fuel pressure. Is it normal to have about 45PSI on the gauge but a flap that has almost no resistance? I always thought the flap test gives a good first indication about the fuel pressure. So to really check for fuel rest pressure i need to open the valve to the WUR which gives me the control pressure right? But i heard that for control pressure test you need to run the engine?

Regarding vacuum leaks:
    What are the areas to check?
    I repaired my ac selector switch a few weeks ago as i couldn?t change the modes with the switch. Can a loss of vacuum in the switch cause vacuum problems on the engine or is this vacuum independent from the engine?s vacuum?
    Showing 45 psi and having ~no resistance at the plate is odd. What does the pressure do when you press the plate.

You can read the rest pressure with the valve open or shut (engine not running).
    Yes, if you want to watch the control pressure while the WUR/CPR warms up, the engine has to be running...

The vacuum is is not independent. A leak at the AC mode switch can cause problems for the engine (lean), but that alone shouldn't keep it from starting (especially when the engine is warm...starting fluid should compensate for that small of a leak).

My VIN:    03572

I ran the non running control pressure test (valve open). After running the pump for about 10 seconds, my pressure read 28 PSI with ambient temp at 69 deg/F. It did slowly increase to 34 PSI in about 9 minuets where it peaked. After about one hour pressure was reading 10 PSI.

By the way an 8 oz fishing sinker will open my flap at 8 PSI and below. It will not move the flap above 8 PSI. That sinker is placed on the flap at the side closest to the rear bumper.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I ran the non running control pressure test (valve open). After running the pump for about 10 seconds, my pressure read 28 PSI with ambient temp at 69 deg/F. It did slowly increase to 34 PSI in about 9 minuets where it peaked. After about one hour pressure was reading 10 PSI.

By the way an 8 oz fishing sinker will open my flap at 8 PSI and below. It will not move the flap above 8 PSI. That sinker is placed on the flap at the side closest to the rear bumper.
    28 PSI @ 69?F sounds right. But I don't see why the control pressure would change while the WUR/CPR temp does not (engine off).
    ???

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    28 PSI @ 69?F sounds right. But I don't see why the control pressure would change while the WUR/CPR temp does not (engine off).
    ???
    Yes that is strange.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Showing 45 psi and having ~no resistance at the plate is odd. What does the pressure do when you press the plate.

You can read the rest pressure with the valve open or shut (engine not running).
    Yes, if you want to watch the control pressure while the WUR/CPR warms up, the engine has to be running...

The vacuum is is not independent. A leak at the AC mode switch can cause problems for the engine (lean), but that alone shouldn't keep it from starting (especially when the engine is warm...starting fluid should compensate for that small of a leak).

When i press the plate with 45PSI rest pressure nothing happens. Pressure stays the same. But i will try again today.
    I always wondered a bit: When the fuel pump is priming and i press down the plate (good resistance) i get the injectors to spray. Once i shut off the fuel pump and press the plate down (still with good resistance) none of the injectors sprays. Is that normal? Seems like as soon as the pump isn't running there isn't enough pressure to get the injectors opening.

@Dave:
    I'm gonna check the control pressure today as well. I just have to hook up another hose for the gauge as on my current hose the valve for opening/closing the access to the WUR is leaking. I'll add a normal T-Hose to the gauge and see what the control pressure says.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus86 View Post
    When i press the plate with 45PSI rest pressure nothing happens. Pressure stays the same. But i will try again today.
    I always wondered a bit: When the fuel pump is priming and i press down the plate (good resistance) i get the injectors to spray. Once i shut off the fuel pump and press the plate down (still with good resistance) none of the injectors sprays. Is that normal? Seems like as soon as the pump isn't running there isn't enough pressure to get the injectors opening.
    That's normal -- The injectors open at 50-60 PSI.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast