FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Couple of Gasket Questions

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Couple of Gasket Questions

Doing the water pump job? new pump and reusing the back cover. I have the gasket from Dgo and it actually came with two - one is black the other cardboard? both feel like the same material otherwise. Which one do I use (assuming I only use one)? And, would I smear hylomar on both sides of the gasket when installing?

Unrelated to the above, for the intake manifold gaskets (the 2 at the top facing the rear of the car) I assume those just go on dry?

My VIN:    4365

I'm not sure on the two gaskets from DGo, I ended up getting mine from DPI because I was ordering other things from there. Looks like DGo has two different listings for the gasket, not sure the difference other than the source.

My experience is when I put the gasket on dry, it did not pass leak testing. So I ended up buying a new gasket and the second time I used blue gasket maker. Which ever you try, make sure to leak check before you put the valley back together. As always, make sure both mating surfaces are clean of debris and previous gasket material.

As for the other gaskets, I assume you are talking about the ones connecting to the w-pipe. Those go on dry.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
    I'm not sure on the two gaskets from DGo, I ended up getting mine from DPI because I was ordering other things from there. Looks like DGo has two different listings for the gasket, not sure the difference other than the source.

My experience is when I put the gasket on dry, it did not pass leak testing. So I ended up buying a new gasket and the second time I used blue gasket maker. Which ever you try, make sure to leak check before you put the valley back together. As always, make sure both mating surfaces are clean of debris and previous gasket material.

As for the other gaskets, I assume you are talking about the ones connecting to the w-pipe. Those go on dry.
    I actually think I may have figured out the 2 water pump gasket situation. I ordered one individually and one came with the pump, so they stuck them both in the same baggie. The tan one appears to be the el cheapo version, the black on is the DEU version and a couple bucks more so maybe marginally better.

Also, I know this is hotly debated (I?ve read nearly every damn thread on this in existence)? but need some expertise on my setup. What would you do?

- Brand new pump
    - Reusing pump back
    - Using the paper gasket

Would you go bone dry, some RTV (and if so what kind), Hylomar, etc? Both sides or one, how much, etc?

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Also, I know this is hotly debated (I?ve read nearly every damn thread on this in existence)? but need some expertise on my setup. What would you do?

- Brand new pump
    - Reusing pump back
    - Using the paper gasket

Would you go bone dry, some RTV (and if so what kind), Hylomar, etc? Both sides or one, how much, etc?
    Personally I would use a brand new pump sourced from someone like DPI or Grady (Chris Miles also sells a good one). If you have to put the old back onto a new pump because it didn't include it, you should use a thin layer of this on both sides -

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2071/7160009-p
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Personally I would use a brand new pump sourced from someone like DPI or Grady (Chris Miles also sells a good one). If you have to put the old back onto a new pump because it didn't include it, you should use a thin layer of this on both sides -

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2071/7160009-p
    Going a different route. Old pump back mating surface was trashed so getting a new back. Same question though - given new pump, new back and new paper gasket.. still use that stuff above or just go dry on both sides?

My VIN:    03572

Going a different route. Old pump back mating surface was trashed so getting a new back. Same question though - given new pump, new back and new paper gasket.. still use that stuff above or just go dry on both sides?
    If it's something I don't plan to open again, I use a sealer on the gaskets both sides. If I think I will be opening it I use a sealer one side. Some exceptions like valve covers I use sealer both sides and if it needs to be opened, just have to clean it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    11596

I'd still use a thin coat of sealant on both sides of the gasket. It won't hurt anything and might actually help!
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    16409

Thanks for the plug Andy. I’ve got new European made Volvo water pumps and some nice used condition back plate housings. I always use sealant on the water pump back plate. I like the VersaChem Mega Black RTV.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California