FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battery wiring to starter Motor

My VIN:    11596

I believe the positive battery cable actually ran along the top of the frame, next to the fuel return pipe, on at least some cars. I just did a frame off and didn't run mine that way though, I just ran it over the trailing arm and then back to the starter. Just make sure it's not going to get pinched in the TA joint and keep it away from the exhaust. There should have also been a black clip that pop into a hole on the frame to hold one of the positive cables.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Morning chaps,

I have at last following the frame off managed to get the final wiring done. However clearly something isn't right.

Two questions if that ok.....is this correct ? As soon as I connected the battery the starter motor started, so I assume one of those brown wires (guessing bottom pair) should go to the other teminal ?

Attachment 69805

Secondly does anyone recall or can they describe the routing for the positive back to the battery? I have taken it forwards then up over the trans axle arm.

Attachment 69806

It has a couple of clips on it and the second fits the Negative terminal just outside of the tub and feels good. I cant for the life of me find a cable/pipe narrow enough for the first one. Tempted to ziptie it to the handbrake cable to keep it clear out of the way of the trans axle arms ?

Just to finish this thread off should anyone else be wondering in the future I know it all helps and sometimes its annoying they just fizzle out. I had an additional pair of brown wires on the starter motor, these were the ones not taped to the loom and should have gone to the alternator. That explains why it was so difficult to get the nut onto the starter motor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2