FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Flickering green lamp in the cluster (showing that the headlight is on)

My VIN:    #1550

Flickering green lamp in the cluster (showing that the headlight is on)

Hi!

This year I drove already quite a lot and everything was ok on my diva!

But yesterday an electrical problem occured that I did never see before.
    I drove with headligts on and the green control lamp in the electrical cluster also turned on (as ist should).
    After 5 minutes it started to flicker and did this the whole trip.
    At first I thought it would fall out, but it flickered in frequencies, like on an old computer modem - and that for about 2 hours.
    Does someone have clou, what this is and how to stop it?
    P.s. I changed the cluster lamps to LEDs about 3 years ago.

Thank you for you help,

kind regards,

Lars

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

You did not mention otherwise, so I?m assuming your headlights did not flicker at all? Just the indicator light in the binnacle?

First things first, I?d check the condition of the PCB in the binnacle, then the socket that holds that light, and the contacts between the socket and the PCB.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    #1550

Hi JackB!

Sorry, I did not mention it. It is just the green light in the binacle, thats flickering, not the headlights themselfes.

What I also did not mention is, that I have the advanced DMC headlight switch with the grey electonic box behind the switch.
    If I dont?t go wrong, there should be a cable/contact in the plug that is connected to the wire to the binacle that controls the green ligt..
    I will check that in the evening.

I think this is just my smallest problem with the Delorean. I was in a thunderstorm last night and now my steering makes noises if I turn the steering wheel. I can feel the sound in the steering wheel, I think it is in the steering column.
    And I lost the thermotime switch. The car does not want to start and the idle speed is too high if it has started up...

The moral of the story: Never drive a Delorean in heavy rain

Best wishes,

Lars.

Lars,
    Normally the "low beam" indicator in the binnacle is directly powered from the low beam (dip) headlight relay circuit; meaning it gets the same power feed as the headlights. If the headlights show no sign of flickering, it?s probably not the headlight circuit or the lighting switch. Likely it's the connections or circuit board in the binnacle, or the LED bulb itself.

Ron

My VIN:    2678

Hello Lars,

I would also say its the LED bulb that flickers. Some weeks ago, my "Cooling fan fail" indicator, which now should show that the fans are on, started flickering. I also checked first all connections. But when removing the LED and testing it at a separate 12 V power supply, it flickered too. So it seems that LEDs can not just stop glowing when they fail. They can start flickering.

--Peter
    Always a filled fuel tank.