FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sun Shade vibration

My VIN:    03572

Sun Shade vibration

I have a vibration that sounds like roof area behind the driver with hard acceleration (mostly third gear).

I suspect it it from the sun shade louver. I can tap around on the louver and I got a vibration tapping at the top center. Well that I found is one of my center louver supports (in the middle is cracked). So I'm going to repair that. But I also noticed the "rubber" molding where the sides rest on is very hard. Is that suppose to be a soft rubber?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have a vibration that sounds like roof area behind the driver with hard acceleration (mostly third gear).

I suspect it it from the sun shade louver. I can tap around on the louver and I got a vibration tapping at the top center. Well that I found is one of my center louver supports (in the middle is cracked). So I'm going to repair that. But I also noticed the "rubber" molding where the sides rest on is very hard. Is that suppose to be a soft rubber?
    The rubber is supposed to be soft. I think it's neoprene rubber. At least my new ones were really soft.
    The top part can be kind of a pain to get glued because there's not much surface area.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    The rubber is supposed to be soft. I think it's neoprene rubber. At least my new ones were really soft.
    The top part can be kind of a pain to get glued because there's not much surface area.

Dave B.
    Thanks. Just wondering if DMCH still sell NOS rubber which would not be soft due to age. Anyone else get another vendors seals?

My louver, someone did do a rework on that break. They pop riveted some think metal at the break and then plastered epoxy over it. Problem is it worked a slight gap and that is the point that makes it vibrate. So I removed all that and epoxied (T-8 the crack closed and then I will install the laser cut side pieces that I have had sitting on the shelf for many years. I had one overseas customer send those for payment about 10 years ago.
    Dave M vin 03572

My new ones were from DMCH through deloreanMW. They were so soft that they could roll them up.
    If you know deloreanMW there not going to sell you crap.
    Well at least not on purpose.

Dave B.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Thanks. Just wondering if DMCH still sell NOS rubber which would not be soft due to age. Anyone else get another vendors seals?
    Bought DPI louvre buffers late 2022. They're very nice and soft.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Test fitting those metal support bars, it looks like my louvers are not aged flat. The ends of those bars sit fine but the center louvers look flexed high. Don't know if I should put some force on those louvers to get them closer to the flat cut bars.

Did anyone else that installed the supports see this same problem?

Also looks like drilling these bolt holes square is going to be a problem since the drill will be in the way of holding it square. I'm thinking of using a smaller drill bit and then filing the hole.

Another option is to cut the support bars in the middle so I don't need to put forces on the louvers. Actually I only need one end because only one of the louvers was broken.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 07-11-2023 at 07:41 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

I decided to cut the support bar. Don't know if all louvers are the same but mine would not let that support seat low enough onto the middle louvers

It worked out pretty good drilling a smaller hole and then using a file to get the holes square. Filing the louver is pretty easy to do.

I ordered new rubber sides but will do a test drive soon before they arrive.

I did this rework without removing the louver from the car.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Still have the vibration (buzz) with hard acceleration in third gear. Sounds like the rear window behind the driver. Will see if the new rubber pads for the sides of louvers helps.
    Dave M vin 03572

Well have not had any luck stopping that vibration in the rear roof drivers side yet. It may be the T-panel or maybe the finishing panel that hides the torsion bars. I tried tapping with my finger everything around there but that resulting in no clues. I don't think it has to due with wind speed since I only get it with hard acceleration in third or fourth gear. My T panel is not bonded to the roof on the drivers side so I may pull it and look things over with it off.

I also have a less vibration in front sometimes but that will be looked at after the worst one is fixed.
    Dave M vin 03572

Well have not had any luck stopping that vibration in the rear roof drivers side yet. It may be the T-panel or maybe the finishing panel that hides the torsion bars. I tried tapping with my finger everything around there but that resulting in no clues. I don't think it has to due with wind speed since I only get it with hard acceleration in third or fourth gear. My T panel is not bonded to the roof on the drivers side so I may pull it and look things over with it off.

I also have a less vibration in front sometimes but that will be looked at after the worst one is fixed.
    Have you checked any major components that maybe causing a sympathetic vibration? I'm taking this as something new? I just wonder it your being focused on the effect and not the cause?

Dave B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast