FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door roof seals

My VIN:    03572

Door roof seals

I think I asked this question many years ago but don't think it ever got an answer.

Does the bend in the metal strip on the door roof seal point in (at roof) or out? I had removed my drivers side seal because it would fold over and jam up. My passenger side the bend points out. Also do we glue that seal onto the bend? My old one was only glued on the ends.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think I asked this question many years ago but don't think it ever got an answer.

Does the bend in the metal strip on the door roof seal point in (at roof) or out? I had removed my drivers side seal because it would fold over and jam up. My passenger side the bend points out. Also do we glue that seal onto the bend? My old one was only glued on the ends.
    Hi Dave, here is how I glued mine:

When installed, the metal points down.

20230717_215427.jpg

There are more pictures and comments on page 5 of my interior restoration album on my profile if it helps.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 07-17-2023 at 10:02 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks Dana. So I see mine were done the same as yours with the bend in metal going out. Mine were not glued any onto that bend. And only glued on the ends since the screws hold the rubber in place elsewhere.
    Dave M vin 03572

Well the new seal does the same thing. It folds over when the door is open. I think I will just remove the seal and not install any on my drivers side. It pushes up the T panel anyway. And to get it to clear the rear hinge I had to move that one open a little more and now it sticks up when closed.
    Dave M vin 03572

Mine have cracked rubber, but this is a job I have decided to skip, after calculating the risk vs reward. 😬

I looked closer at the door now without the seal. Looks like if the seal does not go to low (door open) the only place it will hit when closing is the bolts on the door hinges. Maybe the stock stock seals are to low and it hits somewhere else causing it to fold over when open.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I looked closer at the door now without the seal. Looks like if the seal does not go to low (door open) the only place it will hit when closing is the bolts on the door hinges. Maybe the stock stock seals are to low and it hits somewhere else causing it to fold over when open.
    My seals fold on the hinge bolts as well.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    My seals fold on the hinge bolts as well.

Make sure the Tee panel is centered evenly between the tops of both doors. Replace the foam pad holding the front of the Tee panel up. Be VERY careful of all of the EXTREMELY sharp edges of the Tee panel. The outer seals are meant to keep too much water from getting into the drip channel where rain water drains. If you don't leave the car in the rain it isn't too important to have those seals. If the seals are bunching up, maybe they need to be trimmed.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure the Tee panel is centered evenly between the tops of both doors. Replace the foam pad holding the front of the Tee panel up. Be VERY careful of all of the EXTREMELY sharp edges of the Tee panel. The outer seals are meant to keep too much water from getting into the drip channel where rain water drains. If you don't leave the car in the rain it isn't too important to have those seals. If the seals are bunching up, maybe they need to be trimmed.
    My T-panel is centered, and the issue of seals hitting the hinge bolts is not related to the T panel as they are attached to the door.
    Dana

My VIN:    3743

my new roof seals do the same thing....
    Matt
    Vin: 3743 Sept. 81 build
    Black interior, Automatic soon to be 5/Speed Converted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast