FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Governor Crazy

Governor Crazy

Hi everyone. I completely rebuilt my automatic transmission (clutches, gaskets etc). I have a problem regarding operation: when the car starts it stays in first gear for a long time up to 4000/4500 rpm then it quickly changes gear up to third. (very quickly). All of this happens even if I press the accelerator softly. could it be the governor?

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 8T utilizzando Tapatalk

My VIN:    4365

Mine wouldn't shift out of first if I was on the gas. I didn't take it up to those RPM's so I can't say for sure the symptoms are the same. I remember it did shift to second then right to third gear when I let off the gas. As soon as I gave it any gas, it went back to first right away. As soon as I fixed the governor, the transmission started shifting normally.

I would start with the governor. If you haven't replaced the electrolytics yet, they are no longer working. The transistors should be replaced as well.

There are a couple of options, you can replace it with modern electronics or just replace the components on the board.

If you are good with a soldering iron, I would say replace the components, that is what I did.

HI.
    My government is original from 1981 has never been updated. The capacitors are therefore original I could have them checked by an electronic expert if there are problems or send the unit to a nearest DeLorean center.

The capacitor are C5, C6, C1, C2,C4,C3?

ThanksIMG_20230803_154158.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Since you had it off, I would make sure the cable adjustment is correctly set because it's a tight tolerance(like .4mm), and if so then you could build a set of test lights for the shift governor to see what it is telling the trans to do.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Hello Michael.

the attached image is not of my Governor but they are images taken online. I'm very interested in knowing how to adjust the cable. it's not very clear. you know how to do it. an incorrect setting can raise the number of revolutions too much Before shifting gear? A thousand thanks

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by alexdmc1 View Post
    Hello Michael.

the attached image is not of my Governor but they are images taken online. I'm very interested in knowing how to adjust the cable. it's not very clear. you know how to do it. an incorrect setting can raise the number of revolutions too much Before shifting gear? A thousand thanks

The detent cable adjustment is critical in shift points. It will cause the engine to hold a gear forever before shifting or it may shift way too early. It's an easy adjustment but you will need to be under the car. I will take a pic of the tech manual when I get home.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

If your governor is completely original, I strongly suggest having it serviced and updated to prevent damage to the clutch packs in the transmission especially since you have just rebuilt your transmission. If your handy with a soldering iron, you can do it yourself and if not it's definitely worth the $400 or so to have a vendor take care of it for you.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Good morning. I found this technical drawing to adjust the cable. should the operation be done with the accelerator pedal at full throttle? what is the "J" size? I can not understand....IMG_20230804_105525.jpg

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It's correct my drawing? Is the "J" measurement correct? ThanksIMG_20230804_134326.jpg

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast