FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How to adjust the spring in the wiper switch? I dont't know :(

My VIN:    #1550

How to adjust the spring in the wiper switch? I dont't know :(

Hi!
    I just wanted to check if there is current on the green cable, because my windshield washing pump ist not working.
    So I opened the switch - what was a mistake.
    The switch felt apart and I had to find out how to put everything back together again.
    Unfortunately I can't reconstruct, how to fit in the hairpin spring.
    I hope you can help me!
    Thanks in advance,

Lars

IMG_20230806_170045.jpg

Ps: the configuration on the photo does not work

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Sorry, I don't know anybody who's been inside theirs. That said, some poor boffin must have assembled them at the part vendor's factory long ago so I guess it's possible to reassemble all the bits of it.

For anyone who might ever think of taking one of these apart be sure to read the Details (warning) at bottom of that part's DMC parts listing page, shared here:
    There's a reason these are stamped "DO NOT OPEN" and that's because it's filled with springs and other tiny little parts that will go a dozen different directions when you open it up to see if you can fix it. Go ahead, try for yourself. These will still be here when you get mad and give up and want to buy this beautiful, original part.

DMC staffers have a good sense of humor and lots of valuable knowledge to share with us.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    #1550

Got it done!!!

Hi!
    I just wanted to tell you that I was able to restore the switch with help from the Austin Mini aftermarket pages.
    The Mini (1984-1989) uses the same mechanical switch (but a little different lever) .
    I found a detailed photo of the switch in the Internet that shows how to turn the hairpin spring and where to fix it
    For everybody who will ignore the warning from DMC I will add a photo below

Screenshot_20230806-211203.jpg

Best wishes,

Lars.