FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kickdown going back to third too soon

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Kickdown going back to third too soon

My auto's kickdown seems to be reseting too early. By "reseting", I mean that it does kick down, but only until about 3000 RPM before it goes back into third. It used to go up to around 5000 RPM or soemthing. I'm not quite sure what changed.

I noticed that trying to manually drop to 2 doesn't seem to do anything. It's like the transmission really wants to be in third. This makes it hard to get up to speed on the highway or pass other cars.

To be clear, it shifts properly from 1 to 2 to 3. It's just that trying to manually drop to 2 or using the kickdown seems to only work in a narrow range before reseting to 3. I'm determining this by the sound of the motor; I don't have any test lights set up that I can see in the cabin, although I should probably rig that up some day.

Does anyone know how the transmission decides to stop kicking down? I couldn't find anything in the workshop manual about it.

Thanks!

-- Joe
    Last edited by jangell; 08-10-2023 at 04:07 PM.

Answering my own thread, this would up being pretty simple: the throttle cable wasn't adjusted correctly. I didn't realize the throttle cable had anything to do with the kick down, but apparently, it does. The car feels a little more responsive in general now, so it may have been shifting a bit early as well, but it wasn't far enough off to think that something was really wrong.

Anyway, all good now. If anyone else has this kind of problem, be sure your governor's throttle cable doesn't have any slack in it.

-- Joe

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Answering my own thread, this would up being pretty simple: the throttle cable wasn't adjusted correctly. I didn't realize the throttle cable had anything to do with the kick down, but apparently, it does. The car feels a little more responsive in general now, so it may have been shifting a bit early as well, but it wasn't far enough off to think that something was really wrong.

Anyway, all good now. If anyone else has this kind of problem, be sure your governor's throttle cable doesn't have any slack in it.

-- Joe
    Glad you found the problem quickly. As a general rule whenever you have a problem with the automatic transmission the first step is always check ALL of the external adjustments. That includes a fluid check (the trans AND the final drive), inspecting the wiring harness to the shift computer (they can be damaged by the hot exhaust pipes) and all of the shift linkage for play and adjustment. Once in a while you see where someone who didn't know how to shift into reverse and they force the shifter and mess it all up. Also motor mounts, if they are bad, can mess up the shifter adjustments. As you see, the throttle cable to the shift computer is important. I also see the vacuum line to the pressure regulator disconnected often. That is to reduce the pressure a bit to make the shifts softer.
    David Teitelbaum

That's good to know about the vacuum line -- I always wondered what that did. The auto trans is missing a good list of troubleshooting steps and "what happens if you unplug this" information that can make some of this stuff hard to diagnose.

-- Joe

That's good to know about the vacuum line -- I always wondered what that did. The auto trans is missing a good list of troubleshooting steps and "what happens if you unplug this" information that can make some of this stuff hard to diagnose.

-- Joe
    You have to remember the Workshop Manual was written for technicians that already have a good working knowledge of automobiles. It does not have every step or explain itself in great detail.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You have to remember the Workshop Manual was written for technicians that already have a good working knowledge of automobiles. It does not have every step or explain itself in great detail.
    Well the workshop manual was kind of a rush job. The POGs at the QAC centers were writing and doing the illustrations for the manual at the same time trying to get new cars ready for delivery. The parts of the manual they really didn't do were the engine and transmission main components. Those manuals they got from the supplier. But with any car, they weren't supposed to be worked on by the owner. Only your friendly trained technician.

So after 40+ years if they missed some obscure details, there's no one to complain too.

Dave B.

Right, the workshop manuals were meant for trained mechanics, which is fine and to be expected. The rest of us just have to learn how to decode them.

I went to DCS this year and there was a great talk by a couple of the POGs (Jerry and Chris) discussing how they created the Technical Manual specifically to get mechanics up to speed because the DeLorean was so unusual.

At the same time, I totally understand that the engine and transmission were known quantities, and so there was no need to create new manuals for them.

Incidentally, there is a troubleshooting section for the automatic transmission in the Workshop Manual (G:04:03) -- it just has no mention of kick-down-related issues.

I'm not really complaining about the omissions per se -- it can just be hard to find information on some things in general, trained or not. Not much to be done about it beyond asking if anyone else knows, which is what makes communities like this so great. Or, do what the POGs did when they wrote the Technical Manual -- start disabling things and make note of what isn't working anymore.

-- Joe

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

incidentally, there is a troubleshooting section for the automatic transmission in the workshop manual (g:04:03) -- it just has no mention of kick-down-related issues.
    FWIW:
    "INCORRECT GEAR CHANGING SPEEDS" 4, 5, ...
    4) Accelerator Controls
    5) Governor Cable

I thought that meant "the shift points feel wrong", not "the kick-down isn't working properly", but I can see how that would apply. I was thinking too narrowly.

And the shift points were wrong -- they just weren't wrong enough for me to notice. That's the problem with taking 2 months to do some repairs and then forgetting what the car's supposed to feel like.

To be honest, I'm slightly confused about how the kick-down actually works. I know the microswitch activates the kick-down, but I also know that something else in the governor overrides it. I suck at reading circuit schematics and figuring out what is actually does from different inputs, but I have been tempted to try loading the governor schematic into a simulator like LTSpice and start feeding it signals and seeing what it outputs. I've never used a simulator like that before, so I'm not entirely sure it would work, but it seems like it should.

-- Joe

A trained technician, when he gets a car, has to try to understand what the actual complaint is. Then he has to verify it hoping it isn't an intermittent. Now he must diagnose it. All of these steps are at least as important as being able to fix the problem. Once it is fixed the Tech should test the function to verify if the problem has been found and fixed. As for the manual, it cannot have every failure mode or how to repair everything. That is why it explains some things so a Tech can understand how it is supposed to work and then figure out what is not working and how to fix it. Finally the manual was not written to work on a 40 year old car considering how the parts would age. This forum tries to bring the knowledge of all of the people who work on them and have seen all sorts of failure modes and can offer advice on what to do. For most people and even most Techs, the automatic transmission is a "Black Box" and they do not fully understand how it functions. That is what the diagnosis charts are for.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast