FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Happiest Day for a New Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Great for painted cars. Absolutely stupid on a Delorean except on fascias.
    This seems to be the consensus here. I’m trying to understand why. I guess if it blocks UV to protect paint, it would be of no use for stainless. But for anything else, I don’t see a difference. What is the principal benefit for paint?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    This seems to be the consensus here. I’m trying to understand why. I guess if it blocks UV to protect paint, it would be of no use for stainless. But for anything else, I don’t see a difference. What is the principal benefit for paint?
    It makes the surface of the paint "super smooth". That has the effect of making dirt harder to stick to it and water beads right off. It protects the paint. It is really amazing stuff for painted surfaces. It is of no real benefit for S/S. Just as you don't wax S/S to protect it like you would a painted surface. Ceramic coatings are like super wax, it lasts a LOT longer. The disadvantage is cost and before you put it on you should do what they call "paint correction". You fix all of the cosmetic defects, scratches, swirl marks, chips, etc because once you coat the paint with the ceramic coating you can't fix it anymore. For cars not stored in a garage it can last for months. For cars stored in a garage it can last for over a year or more. The coating itself only costs about $100. Detail shops that do this charge over $1,000 to $2,000 mainly for the paint correction. Putting the ceramic coating on for a small car like a Delorean only would take about 15 minutes. You just wipe it on with a small block and a small microfiber towel. To do the paint correction can take days. It is a great investment to put on a new car, it can add value to it by protecting the paint.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It makes the surface of the paint "super smooth". That has the effect of making dirt harder to stick to it and water beads right off. It protects the paint. It is really amazing stuff for painted surfaces. It is of no real benefit for S/S. Just as you don't wax S/S to protect it like you would a painted surface. Ceramic coatings are like super wax, it lasts a LOT longer. The disadvantage is cost and before you put it on you should do what they call "paint correction". You fix all of the cosmetic defects, scratches, swirl marks, chips, etc because once you coat the paint with the ceramic coating you can't fix it anymore. For cars not stored in a garage it can last for months. For cars stored in a garage it can last for over a year or more. The coating itself only costs about $100. Detail shops that do this charge over $1,000 to $2,000 mainly for the paint correction. Putting the ceramic coating on for a small car like a Delorean only would take about 15 minutes. You just wipe it on with a small block and a small microfiber towel. To do the paint correction can take days. It is a great investment to put on a new car, it can add value to it by protecting the paint.
    So are you saying that stainless is smoother then paint? I don?t know, but I would think it was not. If that stuff can make water/dirt run off it, why not stainless? How about fingerprints? Would it help with them?

Again, I?m not really sure it is a benefit for paint, but if it is, it seems like it would be more so for a rough surface like ?grained? stainless. In the video, it appeared to alter the color somewhat. I?m not sure if that is because it wasn?t dry yet.

Of course, I?ve never tried waxing my car. Does anybody do this? Pros, cons?

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Here you go: https://gtechniq.com/product-categor...amic-coatings/

I have their ceramic coating on some of my cars. Will utilize it when my fascias get repainted.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Another use for ceramic coating can be the wheels and the glass. I almost never drive when it rain but it happens sometimes, and the ceramic coat on glass act like rainx, as it is super hydrophobic and make the surface of wheels, caliper, glass and such easier to clean. It also cancel out static electricity, which means that dust might not get attracted as much to ceray treated surfaces.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Another use for ceramic coating can be the wheels and the glass. I almost never drive when it rain but it happens sometimes, and the ceramic coat on glass act like rainx, as it is super hydrophobic and make the surface of wheels, caliper, glass and such easier to clean. It also cancel out static electricity, which means that dust might not get attracted as much to ceray treated surfaces.
    Indeed - great for wheels & glass. I also use Collinite 476S on painted wheels. Deters brake dust and dirt from sticking and makes for easier cleaning.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

I love the series. All of it. It got me excited and motivated again to take care of quite a few items that he's working on. This week I gutted my entire interior, replaced the dash, getting binnacle wrapped, detailing the carpets, installing sound dampening pads. Cleaning up all the stuff I've accumulated the past 24yrs.

Alex at LSC is great to watch. His excitement is contagious, and his videos are just all around fun.

My VIN:    nov 81

Have not watched it all yet.. but its back a dmc with Mike

https://youtu.be/AeX-MWbB7-Q?si=OnxGMe7ajSGpsfvD

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast