FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: failed smog

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

Quote Originally Posted by cis6409 View Post
    Yes David is correct spray pattern is very important. I didn't describe it very well . They should all spray in a nice fine cone shape atomised spray.

Jumper the rpm relay by connecting the purple and white wire with the brown wire. That ll make the pump run for the test.
    They should all have as close to the same amount of volume in each jar to.

they all spray in a cone shape but they are not completely atomized. Maybe thats the problem.
    none of them leak. They all filled up the cups equally.

I also changed the fuel filter today. I dont know how old the other one was. probably wont make any difference in my test..

Not feeling confident.....

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    they all spray in a cone shape but they are not completely atomized. Maybe thats the problem.
    none of them leak. They all filled up the cups equally.

I also changed the fuel filter today. I dont know how old the other one was. probably wont make any difference in my test..

Not feeling confident.....
    If you want to run your next smog test with my redesigned lambda ECU, send me your shipping address.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If you want to run your next smog test with my redesigned lambda ECU, send me your shipping address.

thanks for the offer. I think im going to try smog one more time Wednesday morning, 2 years ago when it passed i took it early when they opened and it was 30 degrees cooler outside(about a 15 minute drive to shop) This year ive been arriving in afternoon when its been in the 90s. (i know this is a reach but running out of options)
    I dialed the timing in perfectly today. changed fuel filter. removed injectors after i tested them and soaked them in cleaner for about 3 hours. checked the dwell again and I have that detergent in the tank. I will do a couple late night runs over the next 2 days to run through that detergent....
    If no difference i guess im buying injectors as they spray in cone shape but are not as atomized as ive seen in videos...

thanks for the offer. I think im going to try smog one more time Wednesday morning, 2 years ago when it passed i took it early when they opened and it was 30 degrees cooler outside(about a 15 minute drive to shop) This year ive been arriving in afternoon when its been in the 90s. (i know this is a reach but running out of options)
    I dialed the timing in perfectly today. changed fuel filter. removed injectors after i tested them and soaked them in cleaner for about 3 hours. checked the dwell again and I have that detergent in the tank. I will do a couple late night runs over the next 2 days to run through that detergent....
    If no difference i guess im buying injectors as they spray in cone shape but are not as atomized as ive seen in videos...
    Good idea to go early. The offer still stands for the ECU. You would not have to install it, just unplug the connector from your old one and plug it into mine.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you go, especially early, make sure the car is completely warmed up. There are bottles of stuff that claim they can help make a car pass but I am skeptical. Not only must the injectors flow equally and have good patterns, they should all crack open at about the same pressure. I have used Techron and it can clean a fuel system up. It will take using a whole tank of fuel. A clogged fuel filter would make the car run badly and not pass but if it seems to be running OK and no difference after changing the filter, then it won't help. Changing a dirty air filter WILL make a difference. If you do fail again consider doing a full-blown tune-up, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, adjust the valves, compression test, etc. All it takes is one cylinder not firing completely to fail.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you go, especially early, make sure the car is completely warmed up. There are bottles of stuff that claim they can help make a car pass but I am skeptical. Not only must the injectors flow equally and have good patterns, they should all crack open at about the same pressure. I have used Techron and it can clean a fuel system up. It will take using a whole tank of fuel. A clogged fuel filter would make the car run badly and not pass but if it seems to be running OK and no difference after changing the filter, then it won't help. Changing a dirty air filter WILL make a difference. If you do fail again consider doing a full-blown tune-up, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, adjust the valves, compression test, etc. All it takes is one cylinder not firing completely to fail.
    failed my 4th time this morning.. back to gross polluter this time. everything you mentioned is new.. have not done compression test or valve adjustment..
    I guess im buying injectors.

that will end it for me.. if they dont work im registering it non op until i move...

failed my 4th time this morning.. back to gross polluter this time. everything you mentioned is new.. have not done compression test or valve adjustment..

that will end it for me.. if they dont work im registering it non op until i move...
    Wow, that?s quite a puzzle. I was going to say, pull your air cleaner right out so it breaths easier. I would research stuff you can dump in the tank that might make it pass. Like David, I?m skeptical, but it?s worth trying.

When you do the test, will they let you adjust anything right then. (Like mixture) I wonder if letting the crankcase vent to atmosphere would help?

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There are several owners in your area who are knowledgeable about their cars. I would recommend reaching out to them. Maybe even have a weekend tech day.

If your injectors were all working the same, my guess is that's not your problem. What does it cost you now to get it tested?
    Dave M vin 03572

Attached Images

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast