FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: failed smog

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Is it possible the vacuum is leaking up front at the brake booster?

Just grabbing straws.
    Vacuum leaks can be VERY sneaky. On one car I found someone had used way too long a bolt and smashed into the core plug at the front of the right intake runner. On another car the "O" ring for the CSV was missing. Injector seals are very common leaks. For temporary just wrap the seals with Teflon tape. ANY leak bypasses the air sensor and leans the mixture. On one car the springs on the decel valves were overheated and the valves were leaking. Someone has to go over the whole motor from top to bottom and find and fix everything just so to get it to pass. Just not pushing an ignition wire on tight can fail you (or if you pulled on one you broke the core inside). Or maybe the timing is not set correctly. There are just too many things that can affect the emissions for any of us to tell you do this or do that.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Vacuum leaks can be VERY sneaky. On one car I found someone had used way too long a bolt and smashed into the core plug at the front of the right intake runner. On another car the "O" ring for the CSV was missing. Injector seals are very common leaks. For temporary just wrap the seals with Teflon tape. ANY leak bypasses the air sensor and leans the mixture. On one car the springs on the decel valves were overheated and the valves were leaking. Someone has to go over the whole motor from top to bottom and find and fix everything just so to get it to pass. Just not pushing an ignition wire on tight can fail you (or if you pulled on one you broke the core inside). Or maybe the timing is not set correctly. There are just too many things that can affect the emissions for any of us to tell you do this or do that.

I completely agree.. Here is the last thing i want opinion on before I take it somewhere....

Does this look right? they are all similar...

https://youtube.com/shorts/XhCe9cXZR...V0YtnrPRLXx1Bj

My VIN:    16409

I saw you got a new catalytic converter from DeLorean Go. I have a feeling it's not up for the strict emissions in California. DeLoreans were able to pass UK emissions without the cat! It also says "high flow" so it won't be as effiecient. It's physically smaller and probably has much less precious metals as compared to an OE cat. I would try to find a nice used original cat. The key is to find one in California that is known to be good. Since most of the country hasn't been concerned with emissions testing, a cat from a non California car is going to be less reliable. Just my two-cents.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    I completely agree.. Here is the last thing i want opinion on before I take it somewhere....

From what I can tell from the video it looks about right but you really have to get them in a cleaner/tester to tell. Besides, you could have other problems besides injectors. I have also seen that it is usually not one thing that "gets" you, it is a bunch of little things that aren't right. In California something as simple as old gas can do it.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

no vacuum leak except a small amount around injectors which it always did...... Idle speed motor is new and pipe of agony is in solid.
    My car was also missing the o-ring under the fuel distributor. Not sure if it makes a huge difference but it is still technically a leak.

My VIN:    03572

I would not think a small vacuum leak would lean the mixture because the lambda O2 sensor would compensate.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I would not think a small vacuum leak would lean the mixture because the lambda O2 sensor would compensate.
    In my case when I had high NOx, the fuel mixture was too lean because it was adjusted to compensate for the unmetered air leaks. Or at least that's how I remembered it.

Compared to mine, yours sprays with gusto. We?re you just pushing slightly on the plate? Of course, I?ve never had mine checked for smog, so I have no idea what it should look like.

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

so ive changed all the injectors and noticed an immediate improvement even though they didnt have much of a different spray pattern.
    I also changed the plugs just because of everything going on... why not
    changed the oil as well.

was going to take it down today and try again. wanted to warm it up completely and check dwell again. everything seemed fine.
    btw since all this there is not a rich gas smell in exhaust and much more condensation coming out of the pipes on cold start up. goes away after a couple minutes..
    but now I have this.....

car is completely warmed up.. turn it off for a couple minutes and restart while its still hot-------------

https://youtube.com/shorts/oWUQr4zWc...iLglNO9y9BxRNu

goes away after a minute.... coolant leaking?

so ive changed all the injectors and noticed an immediate improvement even though they didnt have much of a different spray pattern.
    I also changed the plugs just because of everything going on... why not
    changed the oil as well.

was going to take it down today and try again. wanted to warm it up completely and check dwell again. everything seemed fine.
    btw since all this there is not a rich gas smell in exhaust and much more condensation coming out of the pipes on cold start up. goes away after a couple minutes..
    but now I have this.....

car is completely warmed up.. turn it off for a couple minutes and restart while its still hot-------------

https://youtube.com/shorts/oWUQr4zWc...iLglNO9y9BxRNu

goes away after a minute.... coolant leaking?
    How's your coolant level? Has it taken a noticeable drop since you last checked it?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast