FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: failed smog

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    failed again.. not near as bad.. not gross polluter. The cat made a huge difference. just not enough...

If its running lean im told that may be hurting my numbers
    can someone clear up dwell settings? The higher the numbers mean the engine is running rich correct? if i want it to run richer the swing would be say 20-28? lean would be 12-20? is that right?

Ive adjusted timing and put in a cdc detergent thats supposed to help lower co2. Im going to drive it for a week or so and run through that tank and try again.. They didnt charge me this time because i think they felt bad.
    Yes agreed ,
    If the dwell numbers are high on the scale you need to lean the idle mixture, if the dwell readings are low you need to richen the idle mixture.

the dwell number your reading is what the frequency valve is doing to 'compensate' for the said base idle co condition setting
    Last edited by cis6409; 09-07-2023 at 09:49 AM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    03572

I've been thinking a lot about your failed emissions. Since you passed at the same place before, maybe they changed or updated their equipment or software. The calibration should be the same but maybe the speed of their sample is faster. I think you said your car was hunting badly. I've found most idle hunt is caused by the lambda system over correcting because it does not wait for the delay of the fuel system to respond to the correction. But I'm not sure if that would be a problem with the testing above idle speeds.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

plus one on the injectors to as david mentioned. An injector flow test might be helpful here. I had injectors that were fine at idle flow test but turn crap when sensor flap was pressed a third of the way down

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

Thank you guys
    I will pull the injectors this weekend and see.. paper cups and then turn on ignition to see flow? I did have them out a few months ago to change all the seals i wish i would have checked then...

Dave im sending you a pm

Thanks,

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cis6409 View Post
    plus one on the injectors to as david mentioned. An injector flow test might be helpful here. I had injectors that were fine at idle flow test but turn crap when sensor flap was pressed a third of the way down
    It is not just flow. A bad spray pattern is enough to mess up your emissions. Because California is so tough you have to have everything "just right" to pass.
    David Teitelbaum

Yes David is correct spray pattern is very important. I didn't describe it very well . They should all spray in a nice fine cone shape atomised spray.

Jumper the rpm relay by connecting the purple and white wire with the brown wire. That ll make the pump run for the test.
    They should all have as close to the same amount of volume in each jar to.
    Last edited by cis6409; 09-08-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks, I found a video on jumping the relay. (i needed the visual as im scared to short something out) I also read old thread that explained what to do if one or more are leaking or spraying on their own. (swapping with working one to see if FD is bad) . I did not see anyone recommending what to clean them with if i find faulty one. I assume soak them in something for a period of time. What would be best option? Hoping not to buy injectors right now..

Thanks for any advice.

My VIN:    03572

I agree that testing the injectors is your next step. When you push the air flap, don't press it very far since the testing is mostly low RPMs. Do they put any load on it (Dyno) during the test?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I agree that testing the injectors is your next step. When you push the air flap, don't press it very far since the testing is mostly low RPMs. Do they put any load on it (Dyno) during the test?

yes they have to dyno it i believe cause of its age..

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is no good way to clean or test the injectors without the injector cleaner/tester. About all you can do is put a bottle of Techron in the gas tank and hope for the best. Or send the injectors out to be cleaned.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast